General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM

I agree, I think the fisrst wave of original netbooks were the best, 9 inch screens, SSD and configurable to hell. Now everything has gone mainstream with large HDDs, larger screens and now what we have is a bunch of same-spec netbooks (trust me, I'm currently compiling a netbook database, so so many of the same spec.

I can see why things haven't been as easy on the Mini 10, upgradse are probably a thing that Manu's don't like, so preventing them encourages you to buy the top configuration.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
I agree, I think the fisrst wave of original netbooks were the best, 9 inch screens, SSD and configurable to hell. Now everything has gone mainstream with large HDDs, larger screens and now what we have is a bunch of same-spec netbooks (trust me, I'm currently compiling a netbook database, so so many of the same spec.
Your database sounds interesting... will you be publishing the results, or is it a 'private' project?

Just curious!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#13) Old

Default 12-05-2009, 04:52 PM

I just don't get the current obsession with size. My beloved Eee 701 is a perfect size for me, and now that I want something with a slightly larger screen and better battery life, I'm glad to be able to have a Mini 9 on order. (I might very well have gotten another ASUS instead, but the only new 901s I could find were white, and white keyboards and screen bezels give me eyestrain.)

Regardless of all the other questions of configuration, what happened to the *small*, sturdy, lightweight netbook? If I wanted a laptop, I would get a laptop.

Eee PC 701 4G Galaxy Black: running "out of the box" in Xandros Easy Mode since 12/07

Waiting for my new Mini 9
  (#14) Old

Default 12-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardcoyote View Post
...Regardless of all the other questions of configuration, what happened to the *small*, sturdy, lightweight netbook? If I wanted a laptop, I would get a laptop.
Well said. It's like convergence is on the horizon - netbooks putting on weight and features, and laptops on starvation diets and losing features. I guess my Mini 9 will be with me for a long time to come.

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#15) Old

Default 12-10-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
Two reasons really. 10" screens are now the netbook norm, so a change was needed. The mini 9 doesn't accept a HDD. People see a 160GB drive and a 16GB drive and they think the larger one is better. They don't know the difference between a SSD drive and a HDD, and they aren't properly educated that a netbook is not a small general computer and doesn't need the room.
I'm glad I got the mini 9 while the true netbooks were out, none of the new ones do it for me. It looks like Google may reboot the netbook trend so you may see a good design again soon, hang tight.
I loved my SSD so much in my mini 9 I got one for my desktop.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 32 gig supertalent SSD
  (#16) Old

Default 12-14-2009, 03:41 AM

I guess Dell just doesn't get it. Think about it. A Mini 9 with great video. If they took the 8.9" screen and combine it with ION they would sell a ton of these machines. If it costs more, so what, the folks that want to pay, will. I visited my sister in-law and she has the Mini 10. Its nice but its just not right. The reason for the Netbook was small, lightweight, and portable. The Mini 9 fits that to a tee. To bad Dell doesn't get it. Like many of us have said "If we want another Laptop, we'll buy one"

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#17) Old

Default 12-15-2009, 11:42 PM

I like the mini 10, I like the touchpad better, and even though upgrading ram was difficult, I actually found it to be fun (unless of course I broke something). Following a guide from youtube, anybody should be able to do it.

I also like the bigger keyboard, wider screen, and I think 10 inches is better than 9 since most other netbooks are 10", and that means most accessories like cases are compatible.

I love a hard drive, since I have a ton of movies and songs. A small 8gb ssd is way too small, i'd only have 3-4 to work with until I install what I need even on windows xp, and I need alot more than that. The hard drive isn't what gets hot in my computer, it's the processor and ram, so I don't worry about the hard drive at all. It's fast enough and big.

I like the mini 10 way better than the mini 9. Unless I had a 64gb ssd, then i might consider getting a mini 9, but then the price would be like $250 more (and that's only 6 dollars less than what I payed for my mini 10v from the dell outlet)
  (#18) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
Well, I guess it's time for a little crow eating. I've seen the advance Black Friday adds for Best Buy, Walmart, and Office Depot, and I have to admit that $400 WILL get you a very full featured, albeit large (6+ lbs) notebook with a 15" screen (3-4gb ram, 250-320gb hd, multi-core processor) at least that Friday. I'd still take the robust Mini 9 just for compactness, but I have to say the economics of my argument have sure been "shot to you know where."
Not on black friday, but my mom got a 16in hp with a dual care pentium, 250gb hdd and 4gb ram for $400

Dell Vostro A90
16gb ssd
2gb RAM
BT+ .3 webcam
Windows 7 Ultimate Final
32gb sdhc card (Oh Yeah!)
Logitech VX nano

« Worse than Dell support | My Acer Aspire, Toshiba, Now Dell mini 9 experience! »