General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Great deal on Win 7, and install information - 10-28-2009, 02:00 AM

If you are considering purchasing Win 7, and have multiple computers (I imagine most everyone here does), you can get Windows 7 Premium 3-pack upgrade for $149. Perfect for a desktop, laptop, and netbook; a single license is $119. You can get it multiple retailers, including Amazon. $50 a copy is a good deal.

Also, Microsoft says that you must have a validated copy of Visa or XP to install; however, I did the upgrade on my Mini 10 while running Win7 RC 7100. When I installed it, I choose "Complete Installation" instead of "Upgrade". Installed a fresh copy of Win7, works like a charm.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM

I've seen on other forums that Sams & Costco have it for as little as $124.95. I have not personally priced it.

Okay, I did just price it. Both have raised their prices. Costco is less. Upgrade prices.

Costco has it for $134.99
Costco - Windows® 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack 3 - PCs

Sams raised the price to $147.83 for my zipcode.
Sam's Club - Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack Upgrade
That's no bargain.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM

But the only problem with these is if you wanted to go back from a Hackintosh (dunno why) or Ubuntu you'd be screwed, because those aren't Windows...

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#4) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
But the only problem with these is if you wanted to go back from a Hackintosh (dunno why) or Ubuntu you'd be screwed, because those aren't Windows...
Assuming that your Hackintosh started as an XP machine, you should be alright with an Upgrade license, as an upgrade will go from XP. Though you may need to reinstall XP or at least have the disc available to 'show' to 7 on install?

Granted, if yours came with Ubuntu (was that an option?) then you'd need to find a full version, or dig out an old XP disc to upgrade I suppose.

Interestingly, if the 3pack upgrade is US$130-150, that makes it cheaper than a single upgrade for us in Australia (AU$170-200) since the conversion is around 90c US to $1 AU. Also, we don't have the upgrade packs available down under, bit of a gyp really.

Astounding.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 12:22 AM

You can actually do a clean install of Win 7 from an upgrade disc via a registry hack at install if needed (legal if you purchased your mini with XP originally, because you retain that license no matter what you install or do to the HD in the interim). Paul Thurrott has a nice summary/guide. I used it this very afternoon and can highly recommend it for clarity and ease of use.

You can pick up a sealed, retail package of 7 home premium on US ebay for $85 right now. Sorry, Rabid .
  (#6) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodminis View Post
You can pick up a sealed, retail package of 7 home premium on US ebay for $85 right now. Sorry, Rabid .
I always read your boardname as hotrod(imus prime)

Gawds, $85, insanity. I guess once the currencies settle a bit things will be back to order, but right now, it's probably cheaper (though borderline eula breaching?) to order 7 from the US and have it shipped to Aussie. Man, we people-who-live-in-Australia (I'm not Australian, I'm a Kiwi) sure get the short end of the stick!

At least games prices are a bit more reasonable now... I saw Uncharted 2 and Borderlands in JB Hifi for AU$89 each, granted with the exchange rate I'm sure those in the US are getting a better deal still, but it's a lot better than the AU$129 that I was expecting!

Hrm, dinner time. I wonder if I have any beeer.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Prices are any better in NZ???

You need a buddy in the states who is happy to run afoul of all sorts of EULAs (and maybe some export/import laws as well) to pop stuff in a $12 flat rate priority mail envelope...
  (#8) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodminis View Post
Prices are any better in NZ???

You need a buddy in the states who is happy to run afoul of all sorts of EULAs (and maybe some export/import laws as well) to pop stuff in a $12 flat rate priority mail envelope...

Hehe, definitely no better in NZ. The AU$ vs NZ$ are pretty similar these days (though you'd be hard pressed to pull AU wages in NZ...) but the NZ prices are still a jump even on the AU ones.

Thanks for the offer hotrod I'm actually moving to the UK in a couple of months so I'm not looking to buy 7 just yet. Hopefully they do the 3pack over that way, since now I have 3 laptops that will be falling over when the 7 RC packs it in, doh. Two came with Vista (one of those with a free 7 upgrade) and the mini with XP. I'm actually glad I got the mini with XP rather than 7 starter, because I assume you can't 'upgrade' from 7 starter to home premium?

Cheers though!
Max
  (#9) Old

Default 10-31-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
Like I said, I upgraded my Mini 10 from Win 7 build 7100 with no problem. Upgraded my XPS from a pirate copy of Vista.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyRN View Post
Upgraded my XPS from a pirate copy of Vista.
I don't think that we really want to hear that sort of information on this forum!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« Atheros Wifi Card Owners - Packet Injection Issue Maybe? | External enclosure for SSD? »