General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Win7 question - no fanboys please - 10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

To put everyone into perspective i have been a diehard OS X user for the last 5 years (had a MacBook, then upgraded to a Macbook Pro 2 years ago) and they both ran perfectly from day one. Heck my 2 year old MBP runs 10.6 faster than it ran Leopard when I got it.

I REALLY appreciate not having slowdowns with time (as registry fills up or whatever it is that causes windows to slow down), and not having to format, as well as not running any software to protect myself from viruses etc.

Windows 7 has got my attention, I know everyone is saying "it's so fast etc etc" but surely it is still prone to all the same hassles - slowdowns with time and need for periodic formats etc? If that is the case then i'll just stick to hackintoshing my 10v, however could it have changed? I don't see how as its still windows.

NO fanboy answers please, what are your opinions?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Honestly, I haven't run Windows 7 long enough at any stretch before I bulldozed it to do something else...at least, not on my netbook.

On my laptop, I've been running it since RC, and I've only had to rebuild once, other than when I upgraded to RTM, and that was my own fault. It's been consistently fast since then.

I honestly don't believe that it's as prone to the periodic formats and slowdowns of before, but I won't say with any certainty that it isn't. I do find it to be a significant improvement over previous versions of Windows, however, and definitely a stable performer.

That said, I'm not a diehard OS X user, but I know my next laptop will be a Macbook of some sorts. I will be running Windows 7 on it as well as OS X. I have gripes with both OS'es, and that will always be the case.

Oh, and one thing I will say...OS X is as prone to viruses as Windows. The hatred of Microsoft though seems to be much more dominant, which is why more attacks are focused on Microsoft. OS X and the *nixes are still prone, they're just not compromised nearly as frequently since the base of users isn't nearly as wide as Windows.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Don't all systems slow down over time? I think so.

My short time with the new win7 tells me it is pretty good, especially for the casual/new user. Why? Against all advice, I upgraded my existing Vista install with Win7 and it took less than 15 minutes. ymmv, but that was sweet. A very responsive system without the usual Vista headaches. Everything just worked, no yellow flags in device manager, network connections stayed in place, couldn't ask for much more.

I tend to agree with reviewers who think the win7 task bar is probably better than Dock but it comes down to preference. I'm still a clumsy beginner with Leopard so I wont make further comparisons.

I'm still amazed at the mini 10v as a minimac, such a nice experience so far, but you don't run completely away from an OS that has served you pretty darn well for so long. Vista almost made me throw in the towel after two years but I'm liking W7.

I bought a MB pro 13 last month and loved it though it always gave me that "two thousand dollah bill y'all" feeling (didn't much like that). My new miniMac is so good I bought another one and the Mbpro got gifted to the niece just starting college. (But, yes, there is definitely another Mbpro in my future.)

I use the Mac10 side by side with my Asus M50 running win7 every day. Now, that's a win/win, win/mac experience and it's all good.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM

I think Anguish is on to something. Foolhardy I am, but I've been running the public beta and then RC candidate on my production Lenovo x61s, and it "never gummed up." You know, that typical slow down you start to experience about three months after a fresh install of Windows. In fact, at one time, one of the big time commentators (Mossberg, Bott, Dvorak - can't remember who) recommended an ANNUAL fresh install of Windows just to clean out the cobwebs.

HOWEVER, Win7 has not experienced that progressive slowdown. My RC (7100) version is just as fast as the original install - and in the Windows world that is one impressive accomplishment.

In practical terms, and it is purely anecdotal, my Mini 9 (2gb/64gb) seems to run faster and smoother on Win7 RC than OS X, which really surprised me. Sleep mode starts and resumes every bit as fast as OS X, which is truly unbelievable. Time will tell if that holds up as well (plan to install WIn7 as shipped as soon as my 128gb SSD gets here).
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

I have been using Windows 7 for many months. I don't believe that Windows "slows down over time" or that it requires periodic reformatting. I find Windows 7 to be very responsive and it is also self-tuning. (For example, it has an automatic defragmenter, though this is disabled for SSDs.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I have been using Windows 7 for many months. I don't believe that Windows "slows down over time" or that it requires periodic reformatting. I find Windows 7 to be very responsive and it is also self-tuning. (For example, it has an automatic defragmenter, though this is disabled for SSDs.)
Sorry - its just been my experience that every version of desktop Windows since Win95 has slowed down over time on our computers. Not so (at least so far) on Win7.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 10-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Probably because it is typical to keep adding software, and a fragmented drive also slows things down.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM

I had to go in and manually disable the defragger in W7 RC on my 1010 with ST 32GB SSD.
I'll believe W7 doesn't slow down in three years, ANY Windows installation I've seen after 2 or 3 years is sloowww. My guess is an OS refresh even with W7 will speed things up quite a bit after a year or more.
Pretty much the first question I ask when someone brings a personal computer question to me, is how old is it, and generally recommend a fresh OS install.
I'm thinking though when I put W7 on my desktop I'll image it periodically so I can just reimage VS reinstall.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 02:57 PM

After owning PCs running Microsoft operating systems since DOS and Desqview I decided to buy a Mac about a year ago. I decided on a 24" iMac. My wife is the primary user and she has minimal requirements, i.e., access webmail and solitaire.

In all the years of owning PCs;

I never had to reinstall Windows.
I never got a virus.
I never experienced a gradual slowdown.

I never installed Vista, so my frame of reference for comparison with Leopard was XP. I liked Leopard much more than XP. Of course, going from a 19" LCD to a 24" iMac might have something to do with this opinion.

Oddly enough our Microsoft representative is who unknowingly got me interested in Dell Minis. He came in the week before Windows7 was made available via Technet and MSDN. He brought his Mini9 running the last Windows 7 RC in case anyone wanted to see how it ran, in addition to his Dell laptop.

My first impression of Windows 7 was it had features which reminded me of Leopard.

Now that I've been running Windows 7 (all versions) on tablet laptops and Minis plus Leopard on Minis, I think both operating systems are about equal, with the small edge being given to Windows 7 for looking better (crisper graphics) on the Minis, which I assume is caused by the kext files used. Before Windows 7, if I had a choice of which OS to boot, I'd pick Snow Leopard, now it's Windows 7. However, it's not an overwhelming preference.

The biggest issue I have had with my iMac has been either the lack of Mac versions of software I used on the PC or the need to buy Mac versions. So, I've installed Parallels on my iMac to deal with this.

Ironically, the often touted Apple hardware reliability didn't apply to my iMac. 10 months after I purchased it, I had to have the power supply and the LCD replaced.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM

I installed the Windows 7 Pro RTM on my desktop about two months ago...and still loving it! With my college email account, I pre-ordered the Win 7 Pro and downloaded it yesterday from digitalriver.com. I installed it directly from my WD USB hard drive and did the "custom" installation from an XP "Home" environment. It is the same build as the RTM, 6.1.7600 7600 Build. The RTM download created a ISO file, but the pre-ordered download created a folder with the installation files. I have the Mini 10v with the 2gb personal upgrade ...and still loving it!!!

Mini 10v - Atom 1.6 - 2 GB RAM - 120 GB HD - Bluetooth - Camera - Obsidian Black

« XP SP3 vs Win 7 in daily use on Dual Boot Mini | I thought that the EPP was supposed to save me money »