General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#31) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Considering it has been quite accessible since the beta stages, Microsoft has had a lot of time to fix some of the major issues. It isn't as necessary to wait for SP1...at least not from an average consumer standpoint. From a corporate standpoint, that depends entirely on the company. I know we won't be seeing Windows 7 at the company I'm contracted to for a while...budget issues aside.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#32) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM

You were not flamed for your opinion to wait for SP1. Several people expressed a different opinion and you got bent out of shape and posted the whiny, "Does this mean all the bugs and security holes are fixed?" Now you add to it by stating anyone who doesn't agree with you is "jumping off a cliff."

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#33) Old
Administrator

Default 10-29-2009, 05:14 PM

It used to be "common sense" because, historically, the initial release of a new version of Windows had not been widely tested. With Windows 7, and the free, public beta, it got a good workout. Also, most reviewers and testers thought the initial quality was very good and I have seen more than one say that it's ok to not hold off for a SP1.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#34) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM

I made a full install from Vista 32-bit Ulimate to the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RC. It's been running really well ever since. Granted, the shutdown and startup speeds could be affected by the fact that I went from 32-bit to 64-bit, but I still like it much more than Vista.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#35) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Seriously guys, a little caution will not hurt anyone.
  (#36) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Just to throw my 2c in.

I've been running Win7 on my main/home/media PC since January (the first public beta - 7000). I upgraded to the 7100 release in July.

This is a computer that runs our TV with media center, shares our files through the house, and is my main PC. It's always on, and I'd be surprised if it's been rebooted more than 5 or 6 times since going to 7 (mostly service packs).

In my opinion, it's still as smooth as it was on day one. In saying that, I'm especially aware of how software can bloat the system, and whilst I wouldn't say I restrain myself from installing things, I am a little anal about checking what a program will install before going ahead with it. No toolbars thanks, no updaters if it can be helped (so Foxit reader instead of adobe, sigh google, fine keep your updater), etc. I just think it's prudent.

I do have the firewall enabled, and I do run Microsofts new virus scanner thing (Security Essentials). I personally think a firewall is not something optional, and that it's a good idea to have some form of virus scanner (even the new MacOS checks downloaded files if I understand right?).

I don't worry about viruses though, at least not the ones that will destroy my computer and data, I think those are few and far between these days, on any OS. I don't think that windows is targetted because people hate the platform either. As far as I can see, the reason why someone wants access to your PC is to use your computer as a zombie to spam/ddos, or to steal your data/WoW account login. The fact that Windows has the greatest presence on the web makes it an obvious target... As MacOS grows it will find itself increasingly targetted. If they've learned from Windows' lead, they might be able to nip it in the bud a bit (the download checks is a good start/example).

Also, about this 'wait till SP1' sub conversation, I'm in the 'It's good enough now to make the switch' camp. It's been in very wide use since January, and I think it has proved itself along that timeline. You might even consider the beta/RC as the first release(s) and the retail release as SP1, if that eases any minds. Yes, it is a decent chunk of change from the beta to the release.

The only problem I have had was user ignorance... I installed a video codec pack that wasn't ready for Win7, and the way codecs were installed changed from Vista. Yeah you need to watch for some things like that, but for the most part keep your eyes open when you're doing things and you'll be fine.

I also run Win7 on my HP TX2 convertible tablet/laptop. It has a multi-touch screen and a digitizer pen. Windows 7 is fantastic on it, and I highly recommend if you have a touch screen that you pick up 7 for it. At work I find myself reaching out to press Ok on dialog boxes on the screen, only to catch myself halfway. Touchscreens are definitely the future, and I'm most definitely going to be an early adopter if a dual multitouch 'touchbook' ever comes out (like the Asus concept). Thinking about how awesome it would be just blows my mind, and yes, I think Windows 7 would power a touchbook perfectly.

(I wonder if one could replace the keyboard of a mini with a mutli-touchscreen...hmm would lose the tactile keys but, touchscreen!)

Sorry if the post came out a bit long winded, but I think I covered everything I wanted to

Cheers,
Max
  (#37) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 09:38 AM

Hi, I have been running Win7 U OEM for about 2 months as I got hold of a early copy on my Mini 10 it is much better than XP and very stable it found most drives straight out of the box and as Dell are now supporting 7 drivers are coming out for the Dell extras as the only area I would like to work better on my Mini is the 3G card as it works and all is fine but I am sure in time the drives will allow A-GPS and not just GPS. also the media centre works with the TV card.

I also run the MS security as this is very low on system I was on the company Sophos but this did slow the Mini down.

I like 7 a great deal and would love to have this on my Company laptop which is on Vista and try to use the update from my bosses new laptop to see If I can get a copy.

I have run the beta and this did have bugs but I would say go for it as I see on other posts options for cheap legal copies if you buy a few I might have to change all my home PC's (4-1 already on 7) I like it that much and it runs very well even on PC's with only 512 Ram.

In short go for it!!!!!

Dell Mini 10 Win 7 U | TV tuner | 3G built in | HD | 160GB 5400 HDD | Office 2010 Beta | Shame the GPS isn't much use

This is the best Travel mate I have had!
  (#38) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 12:50 PM

This would be one of the rare instances where I'd agree - there is no need to wait for SP1. I used my Thinkpad x61s as my test bed, from beta to RC to RTM, and it was more stable all along than either Vista SP1 or WinXP SP3. One week on the retail version is just as strong, including making my Dell Mini 9 a very strong computing experience.

I really believe Win7 is much more than just Vista SP2, but even if you believe that, then there really is NO justification for waiting for SP1 to upgrade. Since my experience has been on relatively old or low end equipment, I don't think you have to wait for a shiny new pre-installed copy either.

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#39) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 10-30-2009, 12:58 PM

It's Vista R2. They just don't want to call it Vista, and I don't blame them.

Getting an iPad
  (#40) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
It's Vista R2. They just don't want to call it Vista, and I don't blame them.
Then why wait for a service pack?

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot

« XP SP3 vs Win 7 in daily use on Dual Boot Mini | I thought that the EPP was supposed to save me money »