General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Might just put windows 7 on here and have a play around.

I use Dropbox for all my university files. Can dropbox be used across platforms? I.e Win7 mini10v and OS X MacBook Pro?
  (#12) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
Can dropbox be used across platforms? I.e Win7 mini10v and OS X MacBook Pro?
Yes..
  (#13) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I have a Mini 10 with Windows 7 on it.

I honestly like the OS, but it's just personal preference. If I honestly truly could, I would use Linux as my main operating system but there is one catch with it - no matter how many tutorials, trials and errors, and options I use I cannot manage to bridge two network cards under the same network. Through Windows I just highlight two network adapters, right click and press "Bridge".

I like the way the taskbar is implemented. Especially the little preview windows that come up when highlighting a program.

I can't really use Aero on this particular machine, but even from some features being off (I really do love my Mini, but damn you to Hell Dell for soldiering the RAM on the board you idiots) it still comes out looking very nice.

If I had a desktop to use I would for sure switch to it in a heart beat. If you have a netbook, while a gig of RAM will work I highly suggest using two gigs, and maybe a hard drive upgrade (I'm still using my stock 160 GB). Overall I'm very impressed and I'd give it a shot if you come from Mac land.
  (#14) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM

(#15) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjeraldyne View Post
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but every prior version has suffered "creeping crud" I just hope Win7 is a little more immune, like my daughter's black MacBook that still sleeps and wakes up instantly after two years in the usual college virus cesspool (without virus protection).
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-24-2009, 12:56 AM

I have been running Win7 for a while now also started with build 7000, then 7057, then 7100, now 7600 and it surely seems faster than XP, whether or not it will slow down remains to be seen, if any of you are like me, I am constantly added and deleting files and programs which will slow down any machine, the clue I find is to clean the registry every now and then and also to defragment the disk ocassionally..that usually speeds up my machine whether I am running XP or maybe Win 7, I will see....just my 0.02..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#17) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 03:03 AM

Most of the "creeping crud" slowdowns I ever saw when I worked as a tech were from "user error".

You know the machine, the one where, (when you fnially get it to boot at all), has 8 billion icons on the desktop and about 12 different addon bars in IE for various things that the user just let install without even thinking about it, not realizing that every single one of those things eats memory and access time, especially on a slower laptop. The machine also usually has no less than 10 icons in the notification area as well. Tons of background tasks chewing up memory can seriously slow down a machine. I used to service machines as bad as that when they were only 5-6 months old and ran like a 3 legged dog with 2 of those 3 legs broken.

The longest single run of a Windows OS that I ever had was about 15 months, and to me it wasn't all that slow when I finally wiped it to install the early beta for Windows 7. Then again, I don't install anything other than what I absolutely must have, and use a spare laptop for "testing" purposes on unknown software to prevent issues.

I expect Windows 7 to hold up very well speedwise for me, but each user is different, and keeping your PC free of extra crap can make all the difference in the world.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#18) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM

My recommendation is to wait. Windows 7 is going to be on the market for a long time to come, so there is no hurry to do anything. Wait for service pack 1, you will not regret it.
  (#19) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
My recommendation is to wait. Windows 7 is going to be on the market for a long time to come, so there is no hurry to do anything. Wait for service pack 1, you will not regret it.
I've been running Win7 for almost 2 months on half a dozen different PCs with 0 issues. Waiting for a service pack is old school and not necessary.
  (#20) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
I've been running Win7 for almost 2 months on half a dozen different PCs with 0 issues. Waiting for a service pack is old school and not necessary.
What he said.

I've been using it since the first beta's were around, and with all the stuff I mess with, I've not managed to blue screen it once.

Even the early Win 7 beta's were better than the shipping versions of Vista.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX

« XP SP3 vs Win 7 in daily use on Dual Boot Mini | I thought that the EPP was supposed to save me money »