General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Scratch and Dent? - 10-16-2009, 07:58 PM

First off, forgive me if this has been posted before. I did a search and couldn't find a thread that gave me any info on the topic.

I was wondering if anyone has ordered a "scratch and dent" mini from the Dell Outlet? Back when I had my mini9 a year ago, I remember the general consensus on DMF being that Scratch and Dent and Refurbished didn't really matter as people had ordered scratch and dent and had no damage and people ordered refurbished and had scratches. However, Dell and DMF has changed alot and I was wondering if in my absence if this has changed?

If the $20 price difference would mean a huge scratch i'll just go with the certified refurbished.

Any help would be appreciated and I thank you guys in advance.

Mini 10v | Obsidian Black | 160GB | 1GB RAM | 1.3 WC | A05 | OS X
  (#2) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM

I got a 'scratch & dent' 10v this week and there are some scratches on the top. You can see them if you tilt the 10v to catch the light just right. No big deal to me and they're no worse than normal wear and tear after 6 - 12 months.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 10-17-2009, 12:28 AM

Maybe I got lucky, but my "Scratch and Dent" Mini looked perfect after a cleaning.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 02:59 PM

I have ordered a Vostro 1500 and a Studio 1737 from the outlet, listed as scratch&dent. By my inspection, both were flawless.

Computer-1737 Core2Duo 2.1ghz/2MB|4GB DDR2|2x500GB SATA|512MB ATI|BT370|b/g/n|
Tempted by an A90 every day....
Ride-1990 600cc Ninja. 80hp/400lbs
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Presumably there must be a reason for Dell selling these as 'scratch and dent' models, so I would assume that someone there has found some small mark or defect which has resulted in them being designated as such.

I would imagine also that some are going to be slightly worse than others, so I suppose it is always going to be a bit of a gamble.

Being a VERY fussy person, I would never be happy with anything which was less than perfect when I received it, so obviously they are not for me, but others are going to be happy just saving some money!

If however you are lucky enough to receive one which appears to be 'scratch free', then that is obviously a bonus!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM

The outlet has a comparison chart on the website - a sort of "what you may get". I'm in Mike's camp - who cares if it looks a little worn? But, I'm wary of the possibility of a screen scratch in the "scratch and dent" section so I've been sticking with the "refurb" level of use.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't think the scratch & dents can have screen scratches, or imperfections that effect the keyboard, touch pad or palm rest.
  (#8) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlogPiG View Post
I don't think the scratch & dents can have screen scratches, or imperfections that effect the keyboard, touch pad or palm rest.
Correct. 'Scratch and dent' is a euphemism for slight cosmetic flaws. They could also call them 'Not For People With OCD'
  (#9) Old

Default 10-26-2009, 03:18 PM

I had a Mini 10 "scratch and dent" from the UK outlet and it came with a faint large semi-circular scratch on the lid and also one battery clip broken. I was a bit disappointed about the broken clip but I've managed to jam the battery in place. It was very cheap however at around £128+vat.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#10) Old

Default 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookheather View Post
I was a bit disappointed about the broken clip but I've managed to jam the battery in place. It was very cheap however at around £128+vat.
Ouch. Scratch and dents in the US seem to be saving only about $10 over refurb, so that would make me very cranky.

« Dell and Walsh Western | just want to say hi »