General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Your Design your Dream Mini!!! - 10-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Hey I was wondering what you would do if you were the person who designed the dell mini? How would you make them better? What parts would you use? How big would it be? How would you make it better?

I'd take an 11z and upgrade to a low voltage Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600, add a western digital 1 tb hard drive, give it 4 gbs of memory, put in a better battery that doesn't stick out the back...It kinda ruins the profile...Hell I'd even take a small improvement like a low profile 4 cell battery. Add the Windows 7 ultimate os...64 bit of course. Make sure it has bluetooth and a wireless n-card, Change the colors a bit...My obsidian 11z sucks when it comes to finger prints...Maybe go with a flatter black and upgrade the speakers and finally add a tv tuner to the thing...I loved that feature in the mini 10 but decided I wanted more memory so went with the 11z.

Well that's what I'd do but I doubt some things I'd want to do are possible. adding the 1 tb hd would probably make the netbook a little bit thicker but it would be worth it if you could add a slot loading optical drive. I'd love to see the netbooks get to the point where they were just as powerful as regular notebooks but just miniturized.

So that's what I'd like to see. What about you?How would you design a mini?
  (#2) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_25 View Post
I'd love to see the netbooks get to the point where they were just as powerful as regular notebooks but just miniturized.
Um...are you joking...?
  (#3) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM

One can dream .... right?..

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#4) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 10:34 PM

Sounds like basically you just want a smaller notebook.

The only change I would make in my Mini 10v is a better trackpad and stretching the length out another 1". The screen with that more more vertical space would make everything perfect but still remain fairly light and small.

This isn't a main computer, so extra power isn't a wish and battery life is more important. Any real work I need to do I can VNC into the home computer and let it do the grunt work.

Any additional features and we're looking at price increases and at that point I'd rather just spend the extra $$$ and get a MBP. So basically cheap price and basic performance is good enough.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Well i really like the size of the 10v so i wouldn't want a bigger screen but it would be nice to be able to buy it with the mini 10 HD screen and the corner to corner glass because it looks classier.Have N280 atom with nividia ION and windows 7 home premium with a good cooling fan setup.Removable panels on the back so you can make mods and some empty pci slots that work and a 6 cell battery that dosen't stick out the back or bottom.And a black palm rest..........that would make the perfect netbook in my opinion.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-16-2009, 12:41 AM

I love my Mini 10 just the way it is...do kinda wish I had 2gb but I have everything available on it.....and I like the way the 6 cell sticks out, it lifts the machine up for better cooling....dont knock it until you try it...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
I love my Mini 10 just the way it is...
Same here.

Assuming Dell wanted to make a "No holds" version without changing the weight or the form-factor, the only things I want are:

Nvidia or ATI Video card (256 megs or better)
Hi rez screen capable of 1080p......but still 10"
dual core CPU
no changes in battery longevity (probably a tall order)
Automatic 50% off on drinks at any bar if I show my netbook to the bartender

Dell Mini 10v
1 gig ram
GMA 950 video
  (#8) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM

thinner, convertible form-factor.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug sapien View Post
Automatic 50% off on drinks at any bar if I show my netbook to the bartender
You don't need a netbook for that. You just need to be hot. And female.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post
You don't need a netbook for that. You just need to be hot. And female.
+1.......

« Top 10 Google Chrome features to boost your productivity | anyone have spare dell mini 10 hinge? (right side) »