General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Michael Dell nasty talked about netbook - 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Michael Dell Trashes Netbooks, Loves Windows 7 < click-

His quote-
Quote:
He went to say that smaller screens and slower performance are not a "replacement for a high-end machine." Fair point, but ouch! On Windows 7, Dell was more optimistic:
Quote:
"Take a user who's used to a 15-inch notebook and then give him a 10-inch netbook. He'll say 'Oh, this is so cool, it's so lightweight.' Then 36 hours later he'll say the screen's not big enough, give me my 15-inch back."
what you think of him who talked trash about netbook for purpose?

10/20/08:Asus Eee PC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - WinXP SP3-32 bit

08/09/09: Gateway LT3103u - 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250GB SATA HDD - WinVista SP2-32 bit - SideWinder X8
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM

I think he's somewhat delusional. He's not completely offbase, but he's not right either. There are many of us who use our netbooks for extended periods for a variety of reasons. It's all about compromise. We know that to get the portability we want, we may not be able to get everything we want. I, for example, am perfectly content with not having a powerhouse, not having a huge display, and a variety of other things, for the sake of being portable and doing a lot of my daily work.

On the other hand, I have a 13.1" laptop that is my powerhouse, that does everything I need it to and then some. It still doesn't compete with a desktop, but for everything I need to do (and I'm in the IT field), the portability factor of both devices is paramount.

Honestly, I use my laptop mostly as a DVD player for my son except when I'm at work. I use my 10v more than anything really.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

He is right though. They aren't a replacement for the power you get from a laptop or a desktop. But then again, they weren't designed to be.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 10-14-2009, 02:57 PM

He's right for many people who view netbooks as a cheap replacement for a larger notebook, but most people buy them as additional, portable devices. And some find they don't need big screens or high performance.

My mom just replaced her defunct Dell laptop with a netbook and she couldn't be happier.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Like all pieces of hardware and software there are no absolutes.

Like has been said, it all depends on what it used for and whether it fulfills the requirement of that specific purpose.

I think some netbook makers are learning from Apple and its iMac line. A huge percentage of the population doesn't require the latest and greatest in hardware.
Consumers are purchasing these machines to fill a very specific purpose as long as the minimum hardware requirements are filled, things like convenience (size, weight, cord management) become more important in the purchase decision.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM

I bought this Dell 10v not as a replacement to my own desktop/laptop/workstation at home or at work.

I bought this netbook as there was a need in my computing life to have something portable to surf the internet with. I no longer have to lug my huge laptop everywhere I go.

Can I get the 10v to do more? Maybe....with a larger monitor...vpn software and remote desktop....I can just use it to remote into my work or my home workstations and do the work from there....

heh.

Mini 10v
  (#6) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXP View Post
Michael Dell Trashes Netbooks, Loves Windows 7 < click-

His quote-

what you think of him who talked trash about netbook for purpose?
I think that even some of the most innovative CEOs are kind of dumbfounded by the love of these little netbooks. In 2006 we thought the 12 and 13-inch laptops were thin and light. Companies actually made more money on smaller laptops than the larger 15"+ screens. But the issue here is that the gap between what used to be the dominant SFF computer, the UMPC, is almost completely bridged by netbooks like the Dell Mini 9 and Mini 10, not to mention the 11z. Almost every time a company owner balks at a product or trend it has to do with money. I can see that with 246% growth in the netbook market and a 19% shrink in notebooks just this year can seem disheartening for manufacturers. But the truth is a netbook will never replace a notebook, but Mr. Dell doesn't need to bash the form factor to make that point. He seems to be implying that all users need the umph of a larger and more powerful machine, but that just isn't true. In the long run, I think netbooks will become a positive force in the market because of the fierce competition and the emerging products from Via, AMD, and Intel.

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#7) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Its only a matter of time until netbooks are powerhouses in my opinion
  (#8) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM

I think they may be some context missing in these quotes.

Honestly, I feel the same way. If I was using a 15" laptop full time and had to replace it with a Mini 10v full-time, I'd be unhappy. 1024x600 sucks.

As a supplement to my Core2Duo/8GB of RAM/terabytes of drive space/dual LCDs desktop, it's a great supplement.

Getting an iPad
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-14-2009, 06:37 PM

On top of that, I have a feeling he is saying this to try to boost "normal" notebook PC sales. The entire laptop/notebook market has been crippled over the last year because of the extreme success in netbook sales.

I do not remember exact figures, but I was just recently reading that netbook sales this year were up 250-300% while "normal" notebook sales had dropped about 10-25%

Considering that Dell and other netbook manufacturers make a much smaller profit off of netbooks than they do on standard laptops, it is hurting the industry. Maybe those were partially his motives

Either way, I love my netbook because I bought it knowing what I would be using it for and knowing it would be a good device to do what I intended it to do. People simply buying them for a notebook replacement and expecting it to be just like their laptop are going to be disappointed, in my opinion.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#10) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I can see that with 246% growth in the netbook market and a 19% shrink in notebooks just this year can seem disheartening for manufacturers.
Quoting myself here, but these are the exact numbers

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
Its only a matter of time until netbooks are powerhouses in my opinion
I believe that too. I mean, being able to have a Pentium Dual-Core in a less-than-1-inch-thin notebook was unheard of last year. Now we might even see Core 2 Duos come in to this segment.

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64

« Dell now offers the 13z in Australia | Atheros Wifi Card Owners - Packet Injection Issue Maybe? »