General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Smile answer - 10-05-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCISProf View Post
Two questions:

1. Can anyone report on the actual footprint of the software after installation. The instillation file at 50Mb+ seems to be quite large

2. Given the capability of the CPU in the Mini 10, can anyone report on the overhead used by the software?

Thanks
Well, after the install.....the folder on the system is only 29mb in size and when its running - it uses approx 6-10pct of cpu usage and about 30mb of RAM (I have 2gb RAM installed) - again this is a fantastic program and its easy to use - you should try the download demo of it and if you like it......find out if its still available (free) because I am sure the 10 probably went fast - he may not have any left

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 - 2gb ram, 32gb ssd, 1.3mb wc, bt, Windows XP Pro (Yeah!!!)
  (#12) Old

Default 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM

50% of the 50MB overhead is simply the DotNet framework. We thought it would be easier to distribute rather than make our users go to two places if they didn't have it installed.

As mentioned, feel free to download the trial - it's fully functioning although time limited.
  (#13) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM

OK, I've sent out all the free codes.

I'm interested in any feedback you might have if you're running the product.
  (#14) Old

Send a message via AIM to BCCISProf
Default 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM

I've used ZoomText Express now for about a week, and recommend it highly, especially for those of you whose age makes it harder to read from the high resolution, but oh so small screen of the Mini 10.

The first few times you use it, it is a bit disconcerting as the screen shifts right or left, up or down to accommodate, the much larger "virtual" monitor that the program creates. After just a little time, it becomes natural and you forget that it is really there. You DO have to remember that the scroll bars may be off screen, so that you have to move all the way to the left or bottom in order to access them.

There is no discernable hit on the speed of other programs running. Of course, just using a 1G computer, means that you can not efficiently run many program simultaneously - but after all that is not what a netbook is for.

I have found no conflicts so far between ZoomText Express and any of the programs that I routinely run: mainly XP SP3 and Office 2007, Windows Live Mail, Windows Internet Explorer, the Dell Dock, etc.

Installation is smooth, and activation (and deactivation) were performed without a hitch. One caution, if you are using languages, other than English, be sure to download the International Edition. The US Edition serial number verification scheme used by the program fails if you switch to another locale. The US version has a 50MB installation program, while the International version has a 100MB installation program. Both versions work identically, once installed.

I have not yet tried the screen tint feature, or the cursor highlite, but I will be trying those out shortly.

All in all, I highly recommend this program, especially to folks who stare at the small screen for long periods of time. The enlarged screen appears as sharp and easy to read as the small screen without having to squint!

Dell Mini 10, 1gb RAM, 160gb Drive, TV Tuner, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, 1366x768 High Def Screen, GPS
  (#15) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the review - I appreciate the thoughts.

I'm hoping a few others will step in with their own.

« My other computer is an HP! and it's Dock SUCKS!!! | Is MyDigitalDiscounts.Com Legit »