General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-03-2008, 07:06 AM

So I want to install xp from cd. I got through the first part of the install but once the computer boots for the first time to finish the rest of the install it can no longer find my usb cd drive. does anyone know how to make this work or know the path to the drive so I can enter it?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Make sure you keep the drive connected AND the XP CD in the drive even when XP says to remove the disk prior to rebooting. The key is to let it install and do its own thing with the disk inserted regardless of what it says. It will find the drive as long as you do this and the BIOS is set up to boot to the CDROM first. On the first bootup after installing the setup files, it continue the install once it bypasses the boot from CD option after 5 seconds. You should then be fine up to the point of setting the time and entering the XP key.

Scott-
  (#3) Old

Default Re: installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

I tried that but it still will not work. When it reboots to finish the install it cant find a file called "asms" on the windows xp pro cd. It asks for the path to it and i enter what is already in there and still finds nothing, I also tried using other drive letters and nothing was found.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-20-2008, 11:57 PM

Hey deevee, Did you ever get your problem ironed out I plan to do the same as you, wondering if there was any tips you could provide. Thanks

My Flagship Rig: XPS I7 930 2.8ghz 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ SSD ATI Radeon 5830 W7 Ult Asus G73SW I7 2.0GHZ QuadCore 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ Ssd Nvidia GTX460 Dell Latitude E6400 Intel 2.4ghz Core2 Duo 40gb Intel Ssd 4gb Ram
  (#5) Old

Default Re: installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-21-2008, 12:29 AM

I had a similar problem, was asking for sys32 Hal file. I changed the boot order to boot from sdd first and problem solved, maybe work for you???

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#6) Old

Default Re: installing xp from usb cd drive - 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM

yea i got it figured out. Just use d: for the drive letter when it is looking for files.

« KIngston DataTraveler 100 2gig w/MBR? | SSD external drive »