General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Dell service. Good even when bad. - 09-17-2009, 11:22 PM

It is amazing how wonderful good service looks when you get bad service.

I have 3 Dell computers and have always had excellent service from them, even the guy in India speaks extremely good English !

For the sake of starting a thread and getting involved and maybe because I have too much free time, here's my little story of Dell's service being extremely good even when it went bad. The story also highlights my last minute rescue from my own dumbness !

I checked online to see the price of a mini 10. It was $549 (everything in Australian dollars). This is pretty much the normal price with no discounting.

I phoned the guy in India as I prefer to talk to someone incase I have a question to ask or an issue is raised.

He said the price to buy it over the phone was $599. This was annoying but I was lazy and accepted the price and ordered one.

About 8 or 9 days later I phoned asking where was the mini 10 as they normally deliver within 4 or 5 days. And they had taken my money immediately.

2 weeks after ordering I was getting annoyed and before phoning again I checked the website. Mini 10 now selling for $449 !!!!! I'm still waiting for the same computer for $150 more !

I phoned the guy in India and also Dell Australia. Both had to call me back and both tried without being pushy to encourage me to wait a bit longer. But I also got an email saying the Mini may not arrive for another 2 weeks. So for me the magic was gone, I risked having to use a $599 computer knowing everyone else got their $449 computer the same time as me.

I told both Dell reps I was unhappy and wanted to cancel the order. They politely tried just once to encourage me to wait but when I said again that I wanted to cancel they immediately accepted my decission. I think this was very professional and impressive and they did not lose me as a future customer. I think they are smart enough to know this. One of the reasons this situation impresses me is that it would be near impossible to get such good service from a lot of Australian companies.

Now to get myself out of my mess, I had to order online another Mini 10 immediately to get the $449 price, wait and see when Dell refunded and deposited the original $599 back into my account (what a relief when they did) and for a few days not go to the place where the first Mini was to be delivered so I didn't see it if it ended up being couriered.

To some degree I did a job on Dell but then again they seem to be having delivery problems here for some reason (I helped a friend order a laptop which is taking too long to arrive). For $599 I expect great service but for $449 I'll put up with anything.

The moral/s of the story . . .

I survived my own stupidity

and Dell's service can be great and they deserve a bit of priase once in awhile.

Ian

~~~~~~\o/~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM

I am not sure that I would call that particularly good service, but at least you ended up with the netbook you wanted, and at a good price, which has to be a result!

To read about my experiences with Dell in the U.K. you might like to have a read here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...one-there.html ... if you haven't done so already, that is!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old

Default 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM

ummmm....uhhhh....

« Sure, you haven't hear this product.. | Runcore 64GB SSD...what's the dif? »