General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM

Found this while trying to find a homepage for RunCore (which I never did find).
http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
About halfway down that page is the money shot.. If you were writing at full speed non stop to the SSD, it'd take about 50 years to kill it.
Good website all around, lots of good SSD information there.I like how if you look up STEC on there, you find out they suddenly became profitable in August '08 for the first time in a very long time. Geee.. I wonder why..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM

I typed "runcore" into Google, and the first hit on the list was Hunan Runcore Innovation Technology, Co., Ltd. But Google says "This site may harm your computer". Strange....
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 11-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks UnaClocker.. you allayed my only remaining trepidation about getting the SDD based Dell over the HDD based Acer Aspire One. The Dell's on the way.

Jamie
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Great article -- deserves to be stickied, I think.

thanks, UnaClocker.

~jeff
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-02-2008, 02:44 AM

Excellent article AND excellent site!

Check out the "Looking Ahead to the 2009 SSD Market - Renaissance in Computer Architecture" article on the main page, which summarizes the "wild west" of the SSD market in 2008, and looks ahead to 2009. Very interesting!

I wonder if just before the death-knell sounds for hard drives, whether the hybrid flash/HDD drive will finally come into its own, i.e. a VERY fast cache using SSD technology/parallelism fronting a BIG hard disk. The thing just hasn't taken off after Intel/Microsoft pushed it a while back, but maybe with some technology tweaks...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-02-2008, 03:18 AM

I have a feeling the big name hard drive makers are going to be caught asleep at the wheel on this transition. There are so many new companies coming onto the market with these drives, and just about NOTHING from the big names. I guess there's really only Seagate and Western Digital left, and a handful of generic-ish brands like Fujitsu. Since they bought up all their competition.

(#7) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Reminds one of Polaroid and Kodak at the dawn of digital photography. :geek:

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Hi-
I appreciated the article about the life expectancy of SSD. It made me feel a lot better about the Dell mini I just ordered. I do have a question though about the Runcore SSD that I just ordered from MyDigital Discount. Based on the Unaclockers articale it states write endurance ratings in the millions and the specifications for the Runcore SSD's on the MyDigitalDiscount page states the read/write lifetime at 10,000 R/W. I am confusing specs or are the Runcore SSDs going to have a short life.

Quote from Unaclocker's Article:
Write endurance rating:- 2 million cycles. (The typical range today for flash SSDs is from 1 to 5 million. The technology trend has been for this to get better.)

Quote from MyDigitalDiscount Runcore Specifications:
Read/Write Lifetime 10,000 R/W

Thanks for any insight into this.
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Well, run through the equation.. Someone check my math here..
64,000,000,000 bytes on the drive
* 10k write cyles
divided by the write speed (70,000,000 peak)
Gives you the life in seconds, divide by 60
Gives you the life in minutes, divide by 60
Gives you the life in hours, divide by 24
Gives you the life in days, if writing over and over non stop (like say you got stuck in a secure erase program):
105 days.

Definitely not 51years, not even a year.. But put into realistic terms, under normal use, and with wear leveling actively moving your data around to prevent any one cell from seeing full activity, you'll probably go 5 years before you have a single cell die of overuse. That 10k is a guaranteed minimum, it's very likely you'll get far more writes out of each cell than that. And with the intelligent wear levelling controller in place, when a cell does die, you never know about it, it marks it bad in it's internal log, and the drive slowly starts to get smaller. It's not a catastrophic failure event like a normal hard drive that has a bad sector that tends to bring the whole drive to it's knees.
Maybe my math is wrong, and I'm underestimating the life span?

(#10) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Well, run through the equation.. Someone check my math here..
64,000,000,000 bytes on the drive
* 10k write cyles
divided by the write speed (70,000,000 peak)
Gives you the life in seconds, divide by 60
Gives you the life in minutes, divide by 60
Gives you the life in hours, divide by 24
Gives you the life in days, if writing over and over non stop (like say you got stuck in a secure erase program):
105 days.

Definitely not 51years, not even a year.. But put into realistic terms, under normal use, and with wear leveling actively moving your data around to prevent any one cell from seeing full activity, you'll probably go 5 years before you have a single cell die of overuse. That 10k is a guaranteed minimum, it's very likely you'll get far more writes out of each cell than that. And with the intelligent wear levelling controller in place, when a cell does die, you never know about it, it marks it bad in it's internal log, and the drive slowly starts to get smaller. It's not a catastrophic failure event like a normal hard drive that has a bad sector that tends to bring the whole drive to it's knees.
Maybe my math is wrong, and I'm underestimating the life span?
Your math looked good to me. I ran through the equation independantly and the only thing I did different was that I used 44MB/sec for the write speed (but I see that you used the peak which is even more conservative). Anyway I calculated the difference between the 16GB and the 64GB (obviously a factor of 4) and it might be noticable at a practical level.

ie1: 10000 * (16,000,000,000 bytes/44,000,000 bytes/sec)*(1hr/3600sec)*(1day/24hr) = 42.1 days
ie2: 10000 * (64,000,000,000 bytes/44,000,000 bytes/sec)*(1hr/3600sec)*(1day/24hr) = 168.4 days
***Note that I left the write speed at 44MB/sec for these calcs***

As Una noted above, the practical life will be much longer because this is a very worst case conservative estimate but definitely buy the larger drive (doh ... I ordered the 16 GB drive about a week ago). If the 16GB lasts for 2 years with normal use, the 64GB would have lasted for eight years.

« I've got an iTunes disaster | Win SteadyState speeds up SSD drives? »