General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-14-2008, 04:59 AM

Yeah, and just think about how far the technology is going to progress in even 2 years.. These drives will be absolute snails by then, if we're even using the same netbooks by then. I figure in a year, dual core Atom netbooks will be out, and the SSD's in them will be at least twice the speed we're getting right now. We'll see..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#12) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-20-2008, 09:28 AM

:?: So if I understand correctly....The Defragging of a SSD will not kill it as stated in other posts. You would have to continuously write data to the SSD for months, possibly even years before you would brick it. I noticed mine was seriously fragged so I installed my favorite defrag utility and let it go to work cleaning everything up. I understand its not as important as a standard rotating HDD but it does seem to help in the overall performance. I just DL and will run the bootvis on my mini-9 to see if it helps any with start-up speed. Looking forward to the arrival of a 64gig Runcore drive when I can finally purchase one. 8-)

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#13) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Some-what Evil
:?: So if I understand correctly....The Defragging of a SSD will not kill it as stated in other posts. You would have to continuously write data to the SSD for months, possibly even years before you would brick it. I noticed mine was seriously fragged so I installed my favorite defrag utility and let it go to work cleaning everything up. I understand its not as important as a standard rotating HDD but it does seem to help in the overall performance. I just DL and will run the bootvis on my mini-9 to see if it helps any with start-up speed. Looking forward to the arrival of a 64gig Runcore drive when I can finally purchase one. 8-)
It might not kill it but you are directly working against the way it's designed to work unnecessarily.
"fragmentation" as we know it from spinning disks doesn't affect SSDs, quite the opposite.

The SSD is spreading out that stuff across it's volume on purpose because that's part of how wear leveling works.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#14) Old
Administrator

Default SSD-specific defrag solution - 12-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Apacer, a maker of SSDs, has announced a "SSD+ Optimizer" (which their literature sometimes calls "SDD+ Optimizer") in cooperation with Executive Software, makers of Diskeeper defragging software. This claims to improve long-term SSD performance by reducing freespace fragmentation thus eliminating erase-write cycles. A white paper from Apacer can be found at http://www.apacer.com/ssd_optimizer/dow ... epaper.pdf The Apacer web pages describing the optimizer are at http://www.apacer.com/ssd_optimizer/index.asp

Apacer says that their solution works only on their drives, but a week or so ago I saw an email from Diskeeper suggesting that they were offering this as an optional feature of Diskeeper and that it was part of the trial download, though I can't find a reference to this on their site now. An interesting concept. See their page at http://www.diskeeper.com/hyperfast/index.aspx

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 02-19-2009, 05:00 AM

After reading this.... I'm a bit confused. I have the stock STEC 32G SSD. I always thought it is MLC SSD and not SLC SSD. Am I right?

Now, going to STEC's web site, it claims 2million write cycle is only for SLC... so, if what I have is MLC, the endurance is much lower.... the following is from STEC... if it is MLC, looks like it is just 200K cycle (as it is 10 times more for SLC only).

ENDURANCE
NAND flash components provide a limited number of Program and Erase operations per single block. STEC is committed to using Single Level Cell (SLC). Different from Multi Level Cell (MLC) flash, SLC flash stores only one charge per cell. The cell can be either programmed or non-programmed. Thanks to its more robust design, SLC flash can achieve 10 times the number of Program/Erase operation of MLC flash, offering superior performance, reliability and power consumption.
Moreover, the controller embedded in every STEC flash product performs extensive wear leveling to make sure that all blocks age at the same rate. The combination of STEC's wear-leveling algorithm, the EDC/ECC and BBM techniques, together with the usage of SLC flash, allows our products to provide over 2,000,000 Program/Erase operations per any single block of flash memory.

 Mini 1011 | N280/A05 | OSX 10.6.5 (NBI 0.8.5Pre), WIN 7 Pro | 2G RAM | 250G HD | BT
 MacBookPro2011 | OSX 10.6.7 | 4G RAM | 500 HD
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM

The STEC drive is MLC. An SLC drive would cost as much as the whole Mini.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Awesome article about the life expectancy of SSD's - 02-20-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
The STEC drive is MLC. An SLC drive would cost as much as the whole Mini.
That is what I thought, so the 2 million write number in the article is really for SLC and our MLC SSD will be likely 10% of that....

 Mini 1011 | N280/A05 | OSX 10.6.5 (NBI 0.8.5Pre), WIN 7 Pro | 2G RAM | 250G HD | BT
 MacBookPro2011 | OSX 10.6.7 | 4G RAM | 500 HD

« I've got an iTunes disaster | Win SteadyState speeds up SSD drives? »