General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 02:40 AM

I ordered a Dell Mini 9 this morning for their awesome black friday sale. The base price is $299.

The ad says that it comes with Ubuntu so I didn't look closely at that while I was checking out. I looked over my order just now and noticed that its set up with XP.

Here is the product page with the discount:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... oc=DNPHXD2

Here is their ad which clearly states Ubuntu:

http://bfads.net/Dell-Inspiron-Mini-9-L ... -Dell-Home

I don't consider this an upgrade. I WANT MY UBUNTU.

I waited to get the Dell to get Ubuntu and not the distros on the Eee PC or Aspire One.

I know I can just install it, but its the principle of the thing.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 04:20 AM

well, call them and say something. As much as posting here and venting helps you feel better, it does nothing to fix the problem. Pick up a phone and stand up for yourself.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 04:36 AM

Yup yup, I agree. Raise some hell.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#4) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 04:38 AM

Yeah... I was just on hold with them for 40 mins... for them to tell me the customer service department closed two and a half hours ago.

I have to call back tomorrow.

Did anyone else order a Dell Mini 9 for Black Friday?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 12:02 PM

couldn't ya just sell the xp disk with the key and install ubuntu?

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#6) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Isn't Dell required to offer Ubuntu as a download as part of the license agreement? (GPL) I know someone posted a torrent link on the forum awhile back.

I ordered yesterday and got XP, I'd probably be installing it anyway...

Mini9/Cherry Red/16GB/2GB
Macbook/White/2GHz/250GB/2GB
Mac Pro/4x2.66/1.5TB/6GB/Quad Displays
Shuttle PC/AMD 2Ghz/1TB/1GB
Custom/AMD 3Ghz/500GB/1GB/Arcade Mame Machine
2 360's/Wii/PS2/2 DC/PSP/GBA/PSP/...{more}
  (#7) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM

"couldn't ya just sell the xp disk with the key and install ubuntu?"

I could, but why should I have to go through the hassle of installing a new operating system when the one I want is supposed to come installed and ready to go?

I wanted to support Dell for offering Ubuntu, that's why I got a mini 9 and not one of the other Netbooks floating around out there. I could have had an HP mini from Costco today with Windows and better hardware for not that much more.

The ad said Ubuntu, why is it set up with XP?

I've been on hold for over 40 minutes this morning, and I've been bounced between departments several times.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 04:07 PM

I just ordered mine yesterday as well. I had to wait 30 minutes on hold - but I got through and there was no issues at all. I checked my order id this morning and all is well.

I got the base model with Ubuntu - and my invoice also states the same. Call 'em up!

Alpine White Mini 9: 16GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
  (#9) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM

What was your ship date?

After over two hours of total time on the phone, with a combined total of about fifteen minutes of talking to people, here's where things stand.

- They don't know why the website is like that, but you can still see it now, that eValue code takes you a set up with Windows XP and no other OS options.

- They can't just change my order

- The only way to fix it would be to cancel the order and place a new one with Ubuntu, but if I do that the new order will be all the way at the back of the line. I placed my order early in the morning on Black Friday and I don't want to be at the back of the line at this point.

- They can't even tell me how much it would delay my ship date to put in a new order.

So I guess I'll be screwing around with operating systems on my first day with my new computer. I'd rather have some extra hassle than risk a delayed up ship date.

This sucks. I just wanted to buy a computer with my favorite Linux distro installed out of the box without any of my money going to Microsoft. I realize that to most people this wouldn't be a big deal, but like I said, I wanted to support Ubuntu on sale with a major computer manufacturer. To me, that's important.

I can't say that this has left me with a good taste in my mouth with Dell.
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Just for the record, the copy of Windows that comes with a new PC cannot be sold separately.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Mini 10 | I just thought I would share my new tattoo. »