General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM

But you can call Dell and inform them that you don't agree with the EULA, so they have to refund you for the OS. Granted, XP is only costing Dell about $35 at this point...
I agree with the motivation for buying the Linux version. I too was willing to jump though hoops just so that I would get one with Linux on it. I bought mine the day Dell put the Mini9 up for sale on their site. My friend ordered his 3 days later, with Windows on it. He got his machine in 2 weeks, I got mine in 5. I didn't even plan to keep Linux on my Mini9, but I wanted Dell to know that alternative OS's are viable and desired.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#12) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM

I just ordered through this promotion as well. If you entered the e-value code from the promotional mailer, you received xp. If you navigated through the website to their promotions, you received the mini configured as stated in the ad. However, I believe that you should have received (as I did) an 8gb SSD for the 299, rather than the 4gb listed. Therefore, it's probably better to simply keep the order as is and install ubuntu when you get it. And if all else fails, when you receive the system, call them and complain stating that the ad said it had ubuntu and so forth like it's the first time you noticed. If you are persistent, they may (and often do) credit back some money.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 12-02-2008, 06:39 PM

It does kinda suck in one regard that you didn't get counted as supporting Linux as sought after OS. However I wouldn't get to stressed about having to "mess with operating systems" There are ubuntu restore disk iso's floating around that you can download before you get the mini so you have it to go. Installing ubuntu is about as easy as it gets and shouldn't take you a long time. I didn't get a promotional mail or anything like that I found the e-value code online on several different sites. Each of them *claiming* one config or another, I never saw an "official" spec before I went to make my purchase. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 8gb SSd. I was also not expecting to be able to make changes to my order while still keeping the discount. Often manufacturers will build using a static model for a sale and that is the only spec the sale applies to.

I'll tell you what I did which caused me to waste most of my Friday off work...originally I added a second year of warranty and placed my order thanksgiving night when the deal went live. After sleeping on it I decided I wanted my $80 back since it wouldn't cover any accidents my wife might have anyway. Friday I called in to cancel and I spent the next several hours trying cancel my order and place a new one. Once the order was canceled I somehow got myself on the business E-value page and the code wasn't working...I was like :evil: I made some calls, wasted a few more hours and was about to cut my losses when I realized i was on the WRONG E-value page... :?
  (#14) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM

I also got the Black Friday deal for $299...Mine came with Ubuntu. I wish they would have screwed up my order with XP! Only because I'm not familiar with Ubuntu (yet).
  (#15) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM

LOL! Why don't both of you just do an even swap, then case closed.. j/k!
  (#16) Old

Default Re: WTF, Black Friday deal has Windows with no Ubuntu option? - 12-11-2008, 02:46 AM

Speaking of the BF deal the one I ordered for my wife finally shipped this week!

« Mini 10 | I just thought I would share my new tattoo. »