General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default New 12" Macbook mini for US$500! - 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is.

In the last couple of days, I've noticed a proliferation of so-called 'macbook's for sale. Here are some pictures:

[edit: trouble linking pictures. Click and check instead]
http://www.tootoomart.com/product-2799854-/
http://www.tootoomart.com/product-2762996-/
http://www.tootoomart.com/product-2809273-/

Of course, these are not made by Apple. They are cheap Chinese knock-offs. But the specs look familiar:

Intel 82945GSE,N270 1.6Ghz, Memory: DDR2 1G maximum support 2G (Samsung original three-year security, or security KINGTIGER three years) Storage Devices SATA 160G (three-year security Hitachi or Western Digital hard drive) Display 12.1inch LCD 1024 * 600 (A bright spot highlighted specifications to ensure that no screen) Audio Devices Input: built-in microphone input interface Output: AC97 integrated sound card, SRS stereo sound. Loudspeaker: dual-channel Stereo output, large power amplifier Video equipment Built-in video camera 1,300,000 pixels (optional) to support the built-in Bluetooth module Intel Generation 3.5 Integrated GFX Core (133MHz) Network Equipment 10/100 MB Ethernet network interface Built-in WIFI wireless network card support IEEE 802.11.B / G standard Power Equipment 2750MA lithium battery,the average standby time :6-8h, working hours 3. 5-4.5 hours.

Now my instinct is "wow, looks cool", followed by "hmm, I'll bet that's hackintosh-able". But it's soon followed by concerns that if these pirates are able to produce large quantities of fake branded electronics, there may be little stopping them from installing OSX and even supplying install disks.

Which worries me, because nothing would be more likely to poke Apple into taking action against hackintosh-ers.

What do others think? Is it a concern? Cool? A pile of junk with some shitty non-standard or obsolete components?
  (#2) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM

I used to work for T-Mobile through contract, specializing in getting unbranded devices to work on the network. China likes to manufacture fake iPhones especially, usually under the CECT brand.

As much as they are indeed a "knock off", the quality of these items would surprise many.

If I had the extra cash to buy a laptop like this I would probably get one for the heck of it, I'd assume it would be pretty good.

The last thing I would call items like these is a "pile of junk".

The last bunch of knock-off cell phones from China I saw in person including the CECT p168, they were built probably better than the iPhone itself, considering you could remove the battery.

However I am comparing phones to laptops here, but either way I'd expect good things from a laptop like this, especially if you see them being sold in large quanitities on other websites.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-11-2009, 10:54 PM

good place to follow mac clones is Shanzai.com Analyzing Shanzhai Tech Culture & Gadgets. I mean, Apple doesn't offer these low cost, low power Atom based machines. So...they're not exactly doing anything wrong.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I used to work for T-Mobile through contract, specializing in getting unbranded devices to work on the network. China likes to manufacture fake iPhones especially, usually under the CECT brand.

As much as they are indeed a "knock off", the quality of these items would surprise many.
I've got a Chinese knockoff HTC Touch phone. Only reason I know it's a knockoff is because it has a regular USB connector on the bottom and not HTC's proprietary connector. Other than that it's a really, really nice, quality device. Software integration ins't quite up to snuff, though. Sometimes I pull out my phone and it's warm to the touch (almost hot). Have to do a reset to get it to cool down. Kinda scary what with tales of cell phone batteries exploding and such.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

(#6) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM

Apple missed out not doing a netbook, I do a lot of traveling that is why I got myself a netbook if Apple made one I would have bought it, my iPhone don't do the job, so hopefully this will wake Apple up. I think I will buy one of these and see if I can Hackintosh it. Look at the spelling of Apple in some of there ads it is APPL E

Dell Mini 9 / 2 GB Ram / 16 GB RunCore / Bluetooth / A05 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Dell Mini 10 / 2GB Ram / 320 GB Hard Drive / Bluetooth / A06 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Acer Apire One 150 / 1.5 GB Ram / 120 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple Intel Imac / 2GHz Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 1 TB Hard drive / OSX 10.6.1 and Windows 7
Apple Intel Mac Mini / 2GHz Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 500 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple MacPro / 2.93GHz 8 Core / 16GB Ram / 2 TB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
  (#7) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM

This one is pretty nice:
Reviews | Baby PC

And available here in Australia. And I'm told it's Hackintosh-able.

I think I like my mini 10v too much to move on just yet, but the 1280x800 is pretty tempting. I doubt I'd choose screen over portability though...

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#8) Old

Default 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Carnage View Post
This one is pretty nice:
Reviews | Baby PC

And available here in Australia. And I'm told it's Hackintosh-able.

I think I like my mini 10v too much to move on just yet, but the 1280x800 is pretty tempting. I doubt I'd choose screen over portability though...
Yes that looks nice. You were told its Hackintosh-able? That is interesting or should I say interastabling.

Dell Mini 9 / 2 GB Ram / 16 GB RunCore / Bluetooth / A05 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Dell Mini 10 / 2GB Ram / 320 GB Hard Drive / Bluetooth / A06 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Acer Apire One 150 / 1.5 GB Ram / 120 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple Intel Imac / 2GHz Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 1 TB Hard drive / OSX 10.6.1 and Windows 7
Apple Intel Mac Mini / 2GHz Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 500 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple MacPro / 2.93GHz 8 Core / 16GB Ram / 2 TB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1

« what do you guys think of my new laptop? | PS3+Geek Squad »