General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Video has since been removed
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell supplies used parts with previous owner's personal info - 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM

That's a bummer they gave you what are obviously refurbished parts in a new machine.

It sounds like you had to have the SSD replaced from the original one that came with the Mini and I believe that Dell is allowed to give out refurbished parts when they replace things. You would think they would at least reimage the SSD before they gave it to you to try and prevent any sort of OS problems.

Keep complaining to Dell until they sort it out. That is definitely not acceptable.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell supplies used parts with previous owner's personal info - 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM

wow - i got an open box ipod from circuitcity last xmas that had all the old music on it, and of course it was a gift to my g/f
The manager was so upset he gave us a brand new one
i would hope dell would have a similar policy - dell works with old hard drives all the time, unlike circuit city

Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 2GB GSkill RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, Intel 5300 a/b/g/n, BlueTooth, 8 cell battery (11hr runtime)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell supplies used parts with previous owner's personal info - 11-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Man that sucks!! I'm NEVER gonna sind my ssd back to dell without wipeing it clean first. wow i never thought they would do that with out cleaning and reinstalling all there crapware first.

white Mini 9 W/ 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Dell supplies used parts with previous owner's personal info - 11-29-2008, 04:06 AM

I don't think you're being harsh at all.
That's a raw deal right there.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dell supplies used parts with previous owner's personal info - 11-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Dell uses third-party service providers to perform on-site part swaps and service. It's possible the SSD was returned to the parts depot and the drive was put back into stock without someone checking to see if there was data on it.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 11-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Highly reccomending getting ahold of gdisk.exe and type gdisk /status from DOS

then type gdisk 'SSD disk# returned by status' /diskwipe /dodwipe on your Mini before you ever return it to Dell to prevent this from happening...

(#8) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 11-29-2008, 07:58 PM

yeah in all fairness the person who gave that particular SSD in was more the fool.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz
yeah in all fairness the person who gave that particular SSD in was more the fool.
I don’t necessarily think you can blame the other person for leaving the information on the SSD, because you can only assume they sent it back because it was faulty.

Most people wouldn’t expect a faulty part to be re-used and even if it were destined to be refurbished would expect it to be returned to an “as new” state. For all we know the fault may have prevented them from removing the data.

I have had similar problems with flash drives and hard drives with intermittent faults where you cannot read/write or format them but then try them again hours or days later and they seem to work again (often seems to be heat related). To get replacement drives I have obviously had to present the original faulty ones but in most cases I have requested that the “old” faulty drives be destroyed in front of me so I can be sure the data is not accessed in the future. But most people may not realise they need to be this careful to ensure their privacy/security.

One of my colleagues has an interesting method he uses for faulty flash and hard drives that go bad with sensitive data on board – he uses an electric drill to keep the data “secure”.

The “new” SSD appears to be causing BSODs so either the original was replaced with another a faulty one or there is another issue with the machine, so all up I think you can lay the blame with Dell on a number of possible fronts.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 11-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, you wouldn't normally send your personal info to just anybody either. Dell shares most of the blame in this case but it is always best to remove the SSD before you send your Mini in for service. If you are returning your Mini for good, it would be foolish not to wipe the SSD first.

On that note, added the above described DoD standard secure disk wipe option to the bootable USB Flash BIOS util I've been working on:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/bios-upgrad ... html#p9482

From the bootable USB Flash, select option#3 and follow the prompts confirming the operation to perform this secure wipe on the SSD before you return your Mini...

« Synergy | Cleaning Day!! »