General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-01-2008, 02:48 AM

Wow. I work in customer service at an electronics store and I know for us this would be completely unacceptable to let out a product which doesnt work, but particularly with someones personal info on it. It also does not seem believable that they would not take it back at the store. I think at least in the US there are laws protecting customers from being stuck with defective products.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-01-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms
...but it is always best to remove the SSD before you send your Mini in for service...
I would think it would be unusual to remove the SSD (ie the main "Hard Drive" of the faulty product) before sending your mini in for servicing???

Surely Dell would require this essential part to diagnose a problem and eliminate it as the cause?
Certainly in Australia, where this took place, Dell generally require a complete unit to be returned for a warranty claim.

What is more interesting is Officeworks refusal to offer a refund or replacement - I have generally found the staff in most stores I have visited in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane to be extremely helpful.

What store was it that refused? We should know so we can avoid that store and the gentleman in question should perhaps try another location.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-01-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissERG
...I think at least in the US there are laws protecting customers from being stuck with defective products.
Australian law relating to the sale of goods is probably more protective of the consumer than US law and we also have quite strict privacy laws. Like you I am amazed they refused to fix the problem; I had a very similar problem with a hard drive, and the same chain of stores very promptly offered me the choice of a replacement or a complete refund.
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini9
Quote:
...but it is always best to remove the SSD before you send your Mini in for service...
I would think it would be unusual to remove the SSD (ie the main "Hard Drive" of the faulty product) before sending your mini in for servicing???
Thats the typcial recommendation to remove the HD or in this case the SSD. Also recommended to remove battery and memory before shipping notebooks back to dell depot for service. Especially in the case of upgrades. Dell has been know to just ship back the standard memory after repair. If you had upgraded to aftermarket 2G RAM for the Mini, there could be a chance you would get it back with only the standard 1G RAM... Depot doesn't need your battery, RAM, or SSD to diagnose your machine cause they generally have plenty on hand.

Code:
NOTE: Before you ship the product(s) to us, make sure to back up the data on the hard drive(s) and any other storage device(s) in the product(s). Remove any confidential, proprietary, or personal information and removable media such as floppy disks, CDs, or PC Cards. We are not responsible for any of your confidential, proprietary, or personal information; lost or corrupted data; or damaged or lost removable media.
http://www.dell.com/warranty

Dell's warranty policy also makes it the customer's responsibility to remove any personal info as well...

(#15) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-02-2008, 12:20 AM

It is also Dell policy not to retrieve data from a HD. When I asked Dell to recover the files from my three week old SSD, I was told under no certain terms could Dell handle the data. Apparently Dell has no means to access, restore, wipe or retrieve anything from the HD.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-02-2008, 05:08 AM

also be warry of"serivce techs" as the one that replaced my mobo on my old laptop missed the bluetooth device and since it was ordered after the system dell didnt want to cover it! after fighting back and forth the service company submitted it as a claim and awarded me 103$ for the replacement (the only bluetooth device they could get dell to give them a quote on for my notebook)

Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 2GB GSkill RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, Intel 5300 a/b/g/n, BlueTooth, 8 cell battery (11hr runtime)
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell supplied "new" SSD with previous owner's personal info - 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini9
Quote:
Thats the typcial recommendation to remove the HD or in this case the SSD. Also recommended to remove battery and memory before shipping notebooks back to dell depot for service. Especially in the case of upgrades. Dell has been know to just ship back the standard memory after repair. If you had upgraded to aftermarket 2G RAM for the Mini, there could be a chance you would get it back with only the standard 1G RAM... Depot doesn't need your battery, RAM, or SSD to diagnose your machine cause they generally have plenty on hand.

Code:
NOTE: Before you ship the product(s) to us, make sure to back up the data on the hard drive(s) and any other storage device(s) in the product(s). Remove any confidential, proprietary, or personal information and removable media such as floppy disks, CDs, or PC Cards. We are not responsible for any of your confidential, proprietary, or personal information; lost or corrupted data; or damaged or lost removable media.
http://www.dell.com/warranty

Dell's warranty policy also makes it the customer's responsibility to remove any personal info as well...
I agree that you should back up your data and remove any personal information you don’t want compromised, but sometimes this isn’t possible if the hard drive (or SSD) has failed. You should also remove any "extras" like upgraded RAM but the entire purchased item (including the hard drive or SSD) would normally need to be returned.

I think you are misreading the Dell Note - it says to remove any "removable media" (things like CDs, floppies, etc) - internal Hard Drives and SSDs are NOT mentioned and are NOT considered "removable media".

Sure Dell would have plenty of spares but they need to see your entire machine to diagnose the problem – many faults are hard drive (or SSD) related.

I am not trying to start an argument but it would be hard to diagnose a faulty hard drive or SSD if you have removed it and not sent it in???

« Synergy | Cleaning Day!! »