General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Would you? - 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM

This is totally hypothetical and i was just dreaming this at 3 in the morning after being woken up by my roommates.

If dell (or any 3rd party manufacturer) were to come out with a mother board and/or upgradable platform for the mini that included an intel p4 processor (or any brand for that matter) that could throw down at least 2.2ghz, along with upgradable ram and could support up to 4gb total, with maybe an upgraded graphics card, would you throw down the pony's for that? What if it were in the 300-500 range?

Would that be something that would be worth while to you? To take your dinky little netbook and turn it into a powerhouse?

I sure would.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

A powerhouse that would shut down instantly due to heat and have battery life measured in minutes? No thanks.

These small notebooks will get more powerful over time, just as regular notebooks did. But there's no magic bullet to shoehorn performance in without unacceptable tradeoffs.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Totally agreed holmes4

There are trade-offs... you cannot magically get performance without sacrificing other aspects and you cannot magically get the portability a netbook offers without sacrificing performance. Heat and power constraints are biggies, as well as space!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#4) Old

Default 09-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I mean I would change a few things on the Mini 9 as well. Such as, add in a few more USB ports and expand the keyboard, but at that rate I might as well buy another unit.

She's still kicking though! Even if I can't run HD videos....

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#5) Old

Default 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM

hypothetically as asked, if it worked....id do it....if it worked well.
realisticlly, im gonna run this baby into the ground the way she is and enjoy the ride....i dig this little bugger....
  (#6) Old

Default 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM

I enjoy the mini9 the way it is. If anything I would like it to have a sata drive bay so could flop down a 500GB HDD.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto
  (#7) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
Would that be something that would be worth while to you? To take your dinky little netbook and turn it into a powerhouse?
No. Because mine's not "dinky" and is a "powerhouse".

It's vastly more powerful than 90%+ of all other computers I've owned (mebbee I'm just old ). It runs all the writing software, dev software and data-processing software I throw at it perfectly happily and snappily. It also lets me access the web just fine.

All with stock mini 10v, OS 10.5.8, 1gb ram, stock HDD.

I can’t conceive of a reason why I would pay more money for something that wouldn’t enable me to do anything more.

??
  (#8) Old

Default 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Not sure how hard it is to swap out the MB, but I'd love it if Dell offered a MB upgrade some time down the line with more powerful (but equally power efficient) components. I wish all manufacturers did, because I hate having to dispose of a working laptop in order to upgrade to a new, faster model.

Not going to happen, though.
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 09-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Nope - not going to happen. You don't see this with desktops either. If you upgrade, someone else will always be available who wants your old one if it still works. I donate old PCs to charity after installing Linux on them.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Default 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Great idea; but I doubt it will ever happen. For myself; I think a netbook is what it is and that is what it should be. Mine is a traveling pardner and she (1010) serves that purpose well. But as long as we are dreaming; sure why not. How much did you say you were willing to spend. ????????????????? fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Live Mesh | helping a friend from seperate locations on computer »