General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Re-install windows xp from back up disk? - 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM

I'm trying to completely reformat my dell mini 10 that i bought from someone a few weeks back. I never got around to reformatting it and registering it under my name etc etc and just getting rid of the random junk that the previous owner put on it.

I have the restore CD but it's not working one bit.

I'm using an external Plextor PX-716UF dvd-rw drive to try and reinstall xp.

If i load it while the computer is running, it brings up the set up screen. I click on install windows, enter in my key code which was located on the bottom of my mini, it starts to copy files from the cd onto my netbook, then it restarts my computer. It comes up to the screen where i can choose to run windows xp setup or windows xp home version and if i choose to run setup, i fall into the error of "nvrd32.sys" is missing and install can not proceed. if i run xp home version it just goes back to my desktop and i start from square 1.

I've googled a little bit but it's all too much work and i was hoping there was just a simple work around this issue. I really just wanna get rid of some of this **** on my mini.

thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM

anybody?

can anyone even point me in the right direction of where i need to go? It's been a few days already folks..
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 09-04-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm surprised that the restore CD prompts you for a key - mine never did.

I can see a discussion of a similar issue at Missing file (nvrd32.sys) when trying to reinstall XP SP3 - DELL COMMUNITY

There's also a much more complicated thread at http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/manu...on-t72273.html

Are you booting from the DVD-RW? What options are you selecting?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Our Goals | Any difference in the screen between Mini 10 and Mini 10v? »