General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddy
Default Ubuntu Netbook Remix? - 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi all,

I'm awaiting on the arrival of my new mini 10v right now but I been reading a lot and I will like to do a dual boot on this machine but I was wonder if anybody had use/install a dual boot with win xp and ubuntu netbook remix?

If so, How this work? How good is the ubuntu netbook remix.

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto
  (#2) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Dual booting is quite easy with any Ubuntu installation, just make sure you set the partition sizes correctly (it does automatically, but make sure that Ubuntu has enough space for any files).

If you want to be adventurous, then you could install the desktop version through Wubi (which installs it like any other Windows program, and can be uninstalled through Add or Remove Programs.) and then install the Netbook Remix packages on top of that. Unfortunately Wubi does not support sleep or hibernate, but it is easy to go back to Windows-only.
  (#3) Old

Smile 08-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi all,

I'm awaiting on the arrival of my new mini 10v right now but I been reading a lot and I will like to do a dual boot on this machine but I was wonder if anybody had use/install a dual boot with win xp and ubuntu netbook remix?

If so, How this work? How good is the ubuntu netbook remix.

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto
I duel boot XP and 9.04 (UNR) on a Mini 1010 and it works just fine. However I would suggest you use the Classic Ubuntu desktop instead of the UNR. You can however use both as you can switch between 9.04 and UNR. Install UNR and then you are able to switch between them.
I find the normal 9.04 desktop is much quicker than the UNR desktop. I've read that it has somehing to do with the UNR icon launchers for all its programs. It is nice if you want to loan your Mini to someone who has never used LInux before. UNR was made for those people.
Its very nice to be able to switch between XP and 9.04 and UNR. LIke having a thriple boot system. You get the best of both worlds. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#4) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddy
Default 08-26-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
I duel boot XP and 9.04 (UNR) on a Mini 1010 and it works just fine. However I would suggest you use the Classic Ubuntu desktop instead of the UNR. You can however use both as you can switch between 9.04 and UNR. Install UNR and then you are able to switch between them.
I find the normal 9.04 desktop is much quicker than the UNR desktop. I've read that it has somehing to do with the UNR icon launchers for all its programs. It is nice if you want to loan your Mini to someone who has never used LInux before. UNR was made for those people.
Its very nice to be able to switch between XP and 9.04 and UNR. LIke having a thriple boot system. You get the best of both worlds. fdalbor
Very good, that answer some of the questions that I was having. I will go with the 9.04 full version better than UNR.

Thanks to both of you for the advise.

BigDaddy - Ernesto
My anger management Class, Piss me off!

Dell Mini 10V | Product Red | Carbon Skin | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | 1gb RAM | 160 GB HD | 1.3MP camera | Bluetooth module
Future Upgrade/Mods: Dual Boot (Win 7 & Mac OS X) | Memory Upgrade 2gb RAM

« This is when you need extra viewing space | Build quality differences between Mini 9 and Vostro A90? »