General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Build quality differences between Mini 9 and Vostro A90? - 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Hi folks,

Are there any build quality differences between the Home Mini 9 and the Business Vostro A90?

For those that have bought the A90, why did you choose the A90 over the Mini 9? Is it because of cosmetics (black vs silver inner bezels) or something else?

Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM

No differences other than cosmetics. They both come from the same factory. Some people like the all-black cosmetics of the A90. That's the only difference.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 08-21-2009, 06:16 AM

I chose it because:

1. Black is my favorite color.
2. It was cheaper to buy from the business side of the site than to buy a similarly equipped Mini from the home side at the time I bought it.
3. It already came with all of the specifications that I wanted at the time

There aren't any other differences. Mini has more options than Vostro. Vostro has black plastic palmrest and not silver. Vostro is cheaper last I checked.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#4) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 01:10 AM

i am interested to know if the palmrest of the vostro A90 is varnished with black paint like the mini is painted silver?

Personally i don't like coated devices because they only look good when they are new. They quickly get outworn and ugly. When the edges get scratched (by normal usage) you can see the color of the plastics beneath.

Worst of all is "rubber-coated". Looking and feeling fantastic when you get it outof the box...five minutes later looking dirty like fife years old...three weeks later the rubber is peeling of and you want to throw it into the producers face.

Better is solid colored plastics, unpainted and uncoated. It can get dirty and yellowed, but you can always clean it. (c64 as an example)
  (#5) Old

Default 08-28-2009, 08:25 AM

If you check the weight differences between the two, the A90 is 2.36 lbs while the Mini 9 is 2.28 lbs. Some speculate that the A90 has a better build quality.

Many of the business machines from Dell are rebranded consumer machines that you can buy from Dell Home, for instance. Some times they are the same exact machine, with maybe only a name change. Other times there are quality control or quality assurance differences. They may all be coming off from the same assembly line, but the business machines get more attention or better quality parts.

I'm not claiming this is the case for the A90, but just something to consider.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM

People have had both systems apart. There is no difference under the skin. Options may vary.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Ubuntu Netbook Remix? | Hackintosh Icon »