General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Bookmark syncing, music syncing, photo syncing - 08-17-2009, 12:35 PM

A lot of us are run multiple OS's and even more of us have multiple computers so we have a lot of things that we would like to keep in sync between these machines.

I personally have a Macbook running OS X and my mini 10v running winxp and ubuntu. I also have a dedicated home sized NAS on order.

I've just now started looking into this and I've found Syncplaces (SyncPlaces Firefox Extension) to be pretty good for bookmark syncing. It basically checks if you have the latest bookmarks on browser startup and forwards any changes you've made when you close the browser. The cool part is you store it on any ftp server you have access to. So I store mine on my 1and1 hosting (So I can sync bookmarks from anywhere).

Music and photos:
-The music and photos I'd only like to do selectively sync to the mini.
-I'd also like them to be stored locally on my NAS and not on the web like the bookmarks.
-Everything is currently stored in itunes/iphoto.
-I don't want an itunes library on the NAS, I'd like to bring the music with me on the laptop(s).
-I'll do all my iphone syncing and most of my photo management on the macbook.
-How is songbird on ubuntu for this (I'll keep itunes on the xp part for a handful of songs I have with apple licenses...ugh. I'll also probably keep my tunes on the NTFS partition because ubuntu can mount and read it.)?
-Should I abandon iphoto and go with something else to manage my photos?

Any suggestions on the music and photos front?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 08-19-2009, 02:37 AM

You can check the threads on Dropbox in the forums here, or use the referral link in my sig, it gives 250M extra over the 2G you get for free.

Drawback is that it only syncs 1 directory but you could make a music folder in your dropbox and another pics folder for photos. I use it between 1 real mac, 2 hackintoshes, 1 Vista machine and 1 Win 7 machine. Everything keeps in sync real nice for me.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#3) Old

Default 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I don't think dropbox will work for the music or pictures. I want to backup/sync those locally and have several gigs of each.

I was using my ftp connection to my hosting (1and1) for bookmark syncing and it denies ftp login too much to work reliably. I'm probably going use something like drop box to store my bookmarks now.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Xmarks (formerly Foxmarks) is good for bookmark syncing. I use it on all of my computers. It works with IE, Firefox, and Safari.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM

I also recommend Xmarks for bookmark syncing

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Xmarks for bookmark syncing. One could use SugarSync for file syncing, though doing this for large media collections might get expensive.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM

ugh...I may just have to go this route. Or just sync things when I'm on my local network.

I think that might work with syncplaces.

xmarks just seems, i dunno, non-lightweight. Can you turn off the stubleupon type features. All I wan to do is sync bookmarks...nothing else. Maybe it is and I should give it a shot.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Yes, you can turn off the "helpful" features and use it just for bookmark (and optionally password) syncing.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Firefox 3.5.2 released | Paypal safeguards for the individual receiving money? »