General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default In case you haven't heard of it: Synergy, I'd suggest this app to pretty much anyone. - 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM

OK, so I know you all will probably think I'm a bit on lazy side, but there's a reasonable multi-tasking explanation for this. I'm in my bedroom a lot using my way-more-powerful desktop to watch TV/videos while I work on stuff on my Mini 9. Basically, today, I just got sick of having to switch between my keyboard/mouse for my desktop and going back to my Mini.

So, I did some searching and luckily came across this wonder-app: Synergy It basically lets you use the keyboard/mouse on one PC to control on another PC on the same network. It's kind of like a software KVM switch. And it works on both Linux and Windows. There's even an easy to use GUI available for Linux called QuickSynergy. It was rather easy to set up for me. Assuming you have a reasonable amount of computer experience it shouldn't be difficult for anyone else to set up themselves. There's even an Ubuntu HowTo here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynergyHowto but with the QuickSynergy app it's still really not necessary to.

I will let you know as it does warn that this is not the most secure app for any reason, so use it with discretion.

So, enjoy and I hope a few of you guys will find this app as useful as I have.

(#2) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM

This even works in Mac OS X, you can find a GUI for Mac OS X to run Synergy between any other computers you may have. I personally have used this app to much success, the only downside is because it shares your mouse over the internet, it can really slow down the connection speed to you and others in your household/ business.

Dell Mini 10v | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | Bluetooth + Webcam | Mac OS X 10.6.1 | NetbookInstaller 0.8.2a
Get yourself a real MacBook with Lockerz! I got invites! PM me.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Synergy is great if you need cross-platform.

For those who are using an "all Mac" environment, then I would check out Teleport

This allows control of your Mac, copy/paste, file dragging, encryption... it is really amazing. So nice to plop my Mini on my desk and be able to drag my mouse from my iMac to the Mini. The iMac keyboard is then active on the Mini as well

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#4) Old

Default 08-30-2009, 06:31 PM

And if you want to have them all on one screen: JollysFastVNC.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Love that Synergy!!!!!

« Like my Background? | Analysis: Microsoft could cut Windows 7 list price to $100 »