General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old

Default Yukon vs Ion - 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm really hoping that Dell makes a laptop with one of these platforms soon. I've only recently started to look at the Yukon platform (Athlon Neo and Radeon X1250 or 3410 GPU), and I think its really competitive with the price as it gives more performance but mainly in the GPU area. This is also true with ION.

Currently,the only device for sale that uses either of these platforms in the mobile market seems to be the HP DV2, which uses Yukon (tho I saw BenQ released a lower powered version with the 1.3 ghz sempron and X1250,but I cant find it for sale). Lenovo also has their 12 inch Ion netbook,but it dosent seem to be for sale either.

I love my Dell Mini 9, its small, and does well for what it can do. But in the future, I might want something with some more GPU muscle. I also dont expect anything with a discrete GPU to be as small as 9 inches, so the Mini 9 will always be on top as far as portability is concerned.

However, if Dell released,say a 10 inch netbook tomorrow, which platform would you want it to use?

I threw in Pinetrail, because it will probably have the best battery life out of the 3, and some people dont need the extra GPU power.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#2) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM

I chose Yukon,because Intel needs the competition in this market.

*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Lousy Linux support means I'll avoid them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03 View Post
I chose Yukon,because Intel needs the competition in this market.
I also hope AMD does well, because Intel's near-monopoly is killing innovation.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM

and an all Intel device will probably never do this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7cjyJait8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VOz5mByZo

The DV2 is looking to be a nice upgrade option for me. However, I dont like the finger print magnet that the whole body has. I would probably also order the Dual core version,even tho it appearently has crappy battery life already. Dell is always late to the scene,if anyone remembers,the Dell Mini 9 was released months after Asus released the 9xx series,and Acer as well. So hopefully Dell has plans to release these platforms, only they're taking their good ol time doing it...

*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Lousy Linux support means I'll avoid them all.

I also hope AMD does well, because Intel's near-monopoly is killing innovation.
Um, and how many other manufacturers have a low power X86 chip like Intel Atom that made a whole new class of PC viable? What has AMD innovated lately? Or even earlier - AMD would not have had anything if it weren't for licensing the DEC Alpha EV6 bus. Hypertransport is based on Alpha EV7.

I too would like to see AMD stay alive, but it's not because Intel isn't innovating.

The HP dv2 is a dud in the market - nobody is buying it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Um, and how many other manufacturers have a low power X86 chip like Intel Atom that made a whole new class of PC viable? What has AMD innovated lately? Or even earlier - AMD would not have had anything if it weren't for licensing the DEC Alpha EV6 bus. Hypertransport is based on Alpha EV7.

I too would like to see AMD stay alive, but it's not because Intel isn't innovating.

The HP dv2 is a dud in the market - nobody is buying it.
No one is buying it because who wants to pay 650$ for a 12" notebook playing like its a netbook.
I would not mind trying one; but from the little I have seen its overpriced in the netbook market and underpowered for a notebook. Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.
But I wish them well. I have always been a AMD fan and will continue to support them with my future purchases. fdalbor
  (#7) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 07:17 PM

indeed. I think the market for > 300 dollar netbook sized devices is extremely small. You get a major overlap and when you're talking 400+ bucks where smaller full notebooks make too much practical sense to spend your money on rather than the tinier less functional netbook versions.

Now, AMD is only competing in areas now where there is little to no competition. High performance is that area. Be it high performance where nobody wants it or where everyone wants it. So i can see why they are pursuing this area. I just dont think it will go anywhere. But hey, the prices of the atom based netbooks were almost that high when they were introduced, now they're going for about 190 bucks new. I have high hopes for FAB2 to greatly improve AMD's ability to compete on a cost level with intel.
Hence +1 for yukon.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM

look at prices of other laptops that are 13 inches or smaller that have a dedicated GPU, and the DV2 might look appealing.

check this search out on NewEgg (probably not the best selection,but still an example). The top 3 are 16 inchers then you have the DV2. Then down a ways you see the Asus N-10 models with the Atom/Geforce 9300.

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptops, Notebooks & Netbooks,Dedicated Card

EDIT- and newegg is out of stock on the better spec'd (and cheaper) DV2. Also,you need to take into account that they come with an external DVD burner as well. Those 4 gig RAM sticks arent cheap either, it only has 1 SO-DIMM

*Sold My Mini 9*

« Cooling down a dell mini 9 | Perfect Video Playback »