General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Use for 10v's 8GB SATA SSD - 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM

I'm planning on upgrading the stock SSD that comes with the Ubuntu 10v with a 250-320GB HDD that costs less than the £40 that Dell ask for if you order a 160GB HDD when getting the 10v. I don't have any other devices which use a 2.5" HDD of any kind, except for my 80GB PlayStation 3. I was thinking about using it as a fast storage drive for my desktop (which currently has a 2.2GHz single-core Athlon 64 and an ancient 160GB PATA 5400RPM drive) once I get the Windows 7 Professional disk I preordered (which will require a new processor if I still want to play Red Alert 3 or The Sims 3 with W7, the new processor hopefully being a Phenom X3, and a new SATA HDD).

I have heard that the SSD that comes with the 10v is fast, not X-25M-style fast, but still faster than a HDD any day, and I was wondering if it could have a use in my desktop, maybe as somewhere for the page file to reside or something.

Has anyone else done something similar with their 10v SSDs? All the guides that I have read use the SSD as an OS drive, which is not possible with only 8 GBs of space.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM

I sold the 8GB SSD from my 10v on eBay for £45 and spent the money on a new 320GB HDD instead.

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookheather View Post
I sold the 8GB SSD from my 10v on eBay for £45 and spent the money on a new 320GB HDD instead.

- Simon.
That's a 40x increase in space!! Nice one

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Using a 10v as a media center | What to do when a window is too big? »