General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 05:58 PM

I am not trying to offend anyone from india, I don't believe i made a racial slander. If i did it was not trying to offend. I am simply stating the language barrier. They do not understand me and I do not understand them. I am mad that not only do i have to speak to someone that is poorly trained but also someone that does not have a good understanding of the english language.

BTW do you guys think i haven't tried to look for my part anywhere but dell? We all know that they suck. I have tried ebay, and looking at every third party part company on google. Unfortunetly these computers are so new that the parts are not there yet. I don't even think they are a year old yet.

Glad you all feel my pain. I think it makes me the most mad that dell does not take any sort of feedback. I just feel like the just don't care.
  (#12) Old

Default 07-26-2009, 02:34 AM

the online chat service works the best for me because it seems that they have computer training.

but in general, i have nothing against india, i just have a problem with major companies with large establishments in the U.S. outsourcing jobs. especially in this economy. wouldnt have so many people unemployed
  (#13) Old

Default 07-26-2009, 02:52 AM

Umm really lets deduce this. We have an American based company, with which most of there sales are domestic. Approximately ten years ago they shifted the technical support to India to reduce overhead. I think it was a poor decision to take jobs out of this country and place them in another country all in the name of saving money. But that is what the large tier one producers face. How do you reduce overhead, provide a top of the of the line product and still do it for a very fair price. Honestly I think of tech support as a means to getting things replaced when they get screwed up. Nothing more and nothing less.

When that fails then the system is broken. Now look around and see how many other US based tier ones are still around. Not many, HP and Dell are pretty much all that is left. ZT was bought out by Gateway, Gateway was bought out by Acer as was Packard Bell. Compaq was bought out by HP.

There just isn't much around anymore. Dell has made some smart financial decisions although not popular.

Mini 10v, 270, 2GB, BCM92046 BT, Cheap 5300 knockoff wifi, 160GB, 6 cell, Win XP, Jade Green

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

John Wayne
  (#14) Old

Default 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM

thank you!!! Never did i say anything directly against the people from india. Its just dell employees. Dell does not care to train them. Yes they are hard to understand. Yes its very annoying. But MORE SO dell does not care to train them. I feel for these people, they get to feel people annoyance. Like this man said, you just want to speak to someone that speaks your language clearly. An american just wants to speak to another american. Just like the Indians would want to speak to another Indian not an american trying to attempt their native language. is that too much to ask?

On a side note about the double annoyance (not native speakers, not trained). I have called other companies before that do outsource but have very well trained staff. That way when I call and ask for something they know what i am talking about. OR i have called places that outsource and have a second tear in case they do not understand (ATT). So even though they are not trained well they can pass me on to someone else that is. Lastly, and once again, EVERY department at dell is answered by untrained people. This is my frustration. There is no hope for me getting this part. There is no department i can always ask for, there no higher tear. They are so poorly trained they don't even know how to transfer, like the man that just dumped me back to the main line. Also half of them are not even sure what their department does as a whole. We know this because we have all been tossed around from department to department only to end up where you started.

and to the guy that said i should just pay extra and up my support......I am not calling to get tech support. I am trying to BUY something. My call was to order a part (which i knew the brand, capibilities, model number, etc)....nothing to do with warrenties, paid support or anything, a dude trying to buy soemthing so there is no way for me to pay extra and up dells customer service.....trust me i would

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94f1camaro View Post
Well i agree 100%,but its not just Dell.It seems to be with just about everything these days.I get calls all the time from people with accents and i can never understand what they are saying so i just hang up.And i am not trying to offend anyone and i don't think this guy is trying to offend anyone either,it is just very frustrating and i think alot of people feel the same way.And since when has it become a crime to be english and want service from a qualified person who speaks perfect english!
  (#15) Old

Default 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM

I work for Dell.

I know far better than most people the policies surrounding our different lines of business.

I do not recommend people buy Inspirons or Dimensions. I recommend Studios only in the event that you really really need a slotloading BD-ROM drive and capacitive touch play/pause/next/etc buttons. I recommend XPSs only if you need to play intensive 3D games, and even then an XPS notebook seems to defeat the purpose of an XPS, so I only recommend desktops.

For pretty much everything else, I suggest and recommend Latitudes and Optiplexes. These are the primary systems that I support, and look where I live. Not everything is in India and the Philippines. You could say that this is a conflict of interest, but I've supported everything except Poweredge servers at this point, and seen the policies and support behind all of them.

Do yourself a favor, if you buy a Dell, buy an Optiplex or Latitude. If you have special needs for the system, use your own judgement, but for 90% of what people do with computers (i.e. if it doesn't need extreme horsepower or freaky hardware like the Mini's), they are more than good enough and in my opinion are better supported. Complaints about quality of support from Optiplex/Latitude owners are far fewer than those of Inspiron/Studio owners.

In Optiplex/Latitude support we can sell things also. If you have a different system we'll need to transfer you to the right department, but if you have one, call on that and tell us.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#16) Old

Default 07-27-2009, 12:06 AM

im a tech the last thing im worried about is support.......when did i say support....i wanted to BUY something...
  (#17) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 12:50 AM

I have had pretty good luck when I have needed support. The best route is to either submit a ticket using chat or if it is minor through the form. Make sure you put a lot of details. They have a standard play book based on the issues you give them and it is fairly accurate IF you give them the details.

As for the language barrier, we are in a global economy and although the popular notian is that all the business is in the US, that is just not true any more. I do not work for Dell, but my company develops OEM software for them. Dell's business out side of the US is actually quite large. They are an international company and personally have found that they have improved their service over the last few years. Not great, but getting there. One thing to remember is that they still garner most of their income through business customers NOT end users. Their support for business is much better than for home users.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#18) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxgrowth View Post
im a tech the last thing im worried about is support.......when did i say support....i wanted to BUY something...
Even though you're trying to purchase a replacement touchpad, your issue is pretty much a support issue, IMO. Or, maybe the fact that you need to go through support to order this part means that its a support issue....dunno. In this case, you can't have one without the other, I think.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#19) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM

I was talking to sales, Thats why i was surprised to speak to someone that did not know what they were selling. It was sales-parts dept. I mean you HAVE to know something to work parts right? When I go to autozone and get a part those guys always know what im talking about. They could even tell me step by step how to replace or use that part im getting. Why hire someone who knows nothing? I mean touchpad....thats like someone at autozone asking what oil is for...... If this guy didn't know what i was talking about he should have put me through to someone that did. Also NEVER EVER EVER say that you can not confirm or deny if its the right part. I wish I could have ordered from tech support......or autozone.....or anywhere but from dell.

on a side note I still see NO WHERE to send my comment or feedback on dell's website. The only thing i saw that would get my feedback to dell was ideastorm. For those that do not know, idea storm is a opportunity for dell to make more profit by stealing your idea. When you sign up to post on there you have to say that you understand that if dell does use your idea you will NOT be compensated for your input in ANY way (way to go dell). So i post it right and im getting a ton of positive votes. So thats when the moderator reads what i wrote and ERASES IT. I go back and add 4 new ideas or suggestions for dell and again she erases it. Customer feedback fits no where on dells radar......what a terrible company......
  (#20) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM

What are you trying to buy a touchpad for? Try calling tech support. We can sell things. Sales is more used to selling New-in-box SKUs and computers and such. In tech support, we regularly send out parts of a computer, and know how to make sure you get the right part. You just have to ask to buy it from us.

At least in my department we can. I don't know what kind of system you're trying to buy the touchpad on.

And you would probably need the whole palmrest assembly, I don't know of any systems we have that the touchpad as a separate component.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent

« Will Mini 9 Car Charger Work? | Using my Mini as an Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor (bridging) »