General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Paypal safeguards for the individual receiving money? - 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM

Hi there

I found a potential buyer for my Mini 9 via craigslist. I'm aware of the Nigerian scammers out there but this buyer seems legit; we have been corresponding back and forth several times and he seems genuinely interested in buying.

I've only used Paypal to purchase stuff online so I am unfamiliar with the process of sending money.

Of course, the buyer will be sending money FIRST before I will ship the unit out to him. Shipment will be to NY

However, here are my questions:
*I have a verified paypal account if that matters

1. If he sends money, can he take it back even after funds are cleared and I deposit it to my checking account?
2. Is there a grace period in which the potential buyer is able to perform this "chargeback"? Is there a period when he is no longer allowed to do this?

Thanks again for all your help!

selling mini9 64gb 2gb ram http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/sale...e-2gb-ram.html // <3 apple & mydellmini
  (#2) Old

Default 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozeefus View Post
1. If he sends money, can he take it back even after funds are cleared and I deposit it to my checking account?
1. I believe the only payment that can be reversed through PayPal is a PayPal eCheck.
If the buyer does something like a chargeback request with their bank/card merchant, then yes PayPal will hold funds from your account temporarily whilst the case is investigated. If you have already taken the money from PayPal, your account will go negative. This happened to me a few months ago, but the balance was restored when the dispute was resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozeefus View Post
2. Is there a grace period in which the potential buyer is able to perform this "chargeback"? Is there a period when he is no longer allowed to do this?
2. If the buyer initiates a chargeback through their credit card merchant, the timeline could be several months depending on their own policies. If the dispute is filed through PayPal, the dispute has to be made within 45 days of payment, and a claim filed within 20 days of opening the dispute.

In any case, if you are receiving payment through PayPal, I recommend you look through sections 11.4-11.7 of the PayPal User Agreement, as it outlines how you need to send the notebook to ensure you are covered by PayPal in case anything happens. I also recommend that once you send it, you keep all proof of sending/purchase for at least SIX months. Better safe than sorry!

mini 10 (via UK Dell outlet), Z520, 1024x576 , 6-cell, no BT
ordered & installed: BT module, US keyboard
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

I have heard lots of horror stories about chargebacks and PayPal. To date, I have not had any issues. But if the buyer qualifies for seller protection, I think you'll be ok. Be sure to read the PayPal rules for seller protection, including how you must ship (if over $250, a delivery signature is required, etc.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 07-23-2009, 02:44 AM

Thanks all for the responses. After doing my own research, it seems sellers end up getting screwed big time. Therefore I don't think I will resort to this Paypal option...

I've decided to ask the buyer to send a cashiers check or money order instead. I KNOW, so nigerian scammer-ish amirite? lol

Hopefully, the buyer has trusted me enough to do such a thing.

Thanks again for the responses!

selling mini9 64gb 2gb ram http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/sale...e-2gb-ram.html // <3 apple & mydellmini
  (#5) Old

Default 07-23-2009, 04:04 AM

I'll give you my $.02...

If your going to sell something as in, you ship it to them, put it on eBay. I know eBay takes those fees, but I bet you can get more money for your sale from eBay. And because eBay owns PayPal, if they try and screw you over, eBay has no problem taking them down and getting your money back, but as I've figured out, it never gets that far.

Craigslist is for face-to-face sales, not shipping.

Dell Mini 10v | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | Bluetooth + Webcam | Mac OS X 10.6.1 | NetbookInstaller 0.8.2a
Get yourself a real MacBook with Lockerz! I got invites! PM me.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasLuck3 View Post
I'll give you my $.02...

If your going to sell something as in, you ship it to them, put it on eBay. I know eBay takes those fees, but I bet you can get more money for your sale from eBay. And because eBay owns PayPal, if they try and screw you over, eBay has no problem taking them down and getting your money back, but as I've figured out, it never gets that far.

Craigslist is for face-to-face sales, not shipping.
I agree, I haven't had a problem with funds when using ebay who owns paypal

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3mp Webcam | Transcend 16GB SDHC | Kawau Micro SD Card Reader | Polaroid 16GB Micro SDHC | Windows XP | Ridic Graphics Skin | Logitech V450 Nano
  (#7) Old

Default 08-11-2009, 01:08 AM

if that's the case, i may put mines on ebay. as far as fees go, i don't mind as long as i have a better chance of NOT getting screwed over

(#8) Old

Default 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM

I would say stick with eBay for internet sales

and

CL for face - to - face
  (#9) Old

Default 08-21-2009, 07:11 PM

for big money, I always ensure the funds are sent as a service, and not as goods or product.

A popular scam is to for the buyer to pay, recieve, then state product never arrived having Paypal give them their money back.
It's a shame. I've had to use it legitimately for stuff on ebay. Like all things, trash will find a way to exploit anything.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit

« Bookmark syncing, music syncing, photo syncing | Details on Samsung's ION Netbook »