Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default Install Games on SDHC Card? - 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi,

I have a Mini, 16 Gb SSD, and was wondering if I could install games on a SDHC card and run them off the card via the computer? or is the SDHC card just for music storage, pictures, etc? Can you install programs onto them as if they were a hard drive?

Thanx.

Mexicali4tacos
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM

If you're given the option to install on your card, sure but it may seriously affect load times of the game/s depending on your SDHC card speed.

I currently install games onto various memory sticks and swap them over for various games, which works out pretty well for me.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 11-05-2008, 02:09 AM

Yes you can, and i highly recomend it

I have the mini 9 with only a 8 GB SSD, so i went out and bought a 16 GB SDHC card (class 6). On this card i install all my games and applications, and leave the SSD for important programs. I notice no lag while in game, and the loading times arnt as bad as you would think. I recomend you buy a class 6 SDHC, because thats what i have and i have virtually no problems with it. Hope this helps.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 11-14-2008, 04:59 AM

Yea I actually didnt have the option to download it straight to my SDHC. So I had to install it to my SSD and then cut the folder that was installed into the SDHC card but it works fine that way : )

Dell mini 9 Gamer Battlefront 2, Halo and World of Warcraft !!!
My Dell mini specs :
OS: Windows Ram:2 gigSSD:16 gig(16 SD card) Graphics: GMA 950
Processor: 1.6 GHZ (Hope they upgrade there Atom processors soon !!)
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM

if you want better performance,I would suggest buy a 2nd SDHC,and when you install games,do it on the SSD,and when you are not playing the games,move the install folder to the SDHC to save room on the SSD

I do the same thing,except I put the Install folders on my 80G HDD

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM

I run all my games from a class 6 16GB SDHC and have no issues with load times or installation. It's much better than taking up precious space on the SSD.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 01-20-2009, 12:14 AM

No text.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy
Yea I actually didnt have the option to download it straight to my SDHC. So I had to install it to my SSD and then cut the folder that was installed into the SDHC card but it works fine that way : )
this is the only way you can get steam to run on a sdhc
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Install Games on SDHC Card? - 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM

actually, just a heads up for anyone that doesn't know or maybe not very computer savy, you can also map a folder on your desktop to use as a network drive for your mini if you want (as long as you only use said programs/games at home). It works great and beats having to constantly swap SDcards or USB thumb drives.

to set it up, go onto your desktop and find a folder (or hard drive) you want to share (in my case, z:\netbook_Progs\), right click on the folder > properties >click the sharing tab and click to share that folder and name it what you want to share it as (I just used the folder name which was "netbook_progs") This was on vista 64Ultimate, you can search how to set it up on XP as I dont have XP in front of me at the moment.

After you get the sharing setup properly go on your netbook, with XP, and go to my computer > tools > map network drive... From there, pick the drive letter you want to assign to said drive (I picked drive g:) and where it says folder, type in \\[COMPUTERNAME]\[SHAREDFOLDERNAME]
. For example, mine looked like "\\Steve-vista\Netbook_progs"

after a second or two, it should display as a drive under my computer than you can install to/from and use as storage

on the go, I rarely use more than 1 or 2 pieces of software, which are installed on the SSD. The rest of my stuff just sits on the network drive.

« Dawn of War + Winter Assault | Counter Strike Source and other Gaming? »