Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Default Running Starcraft - 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Blizzard has Starcraft available as a download from their store and I thought it would be a good game to run on the Mini 9 but I just can't get it to install. I get an error about half way through every time. Does anyone here have it on their Mini?

Alpine White Dell Mini 9 | Super Talent 32 GB SSD | G.SKILL 2 GB RAM | Windows 7 Professional
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM

You might want to say what the error message was. Maybe someone here can help you out. I'd love starcraft on this little thing but I don't know how it will handle it. Protoss for life!

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-01-2009, 08:44 PM

moved to gaming

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gQstatus05
You might want to say what the error message was. Maybe someone here can help you out. I'd love starcraft on this little thing but I don't know how it will handle it. Protoss for life!
Yeah, I'm at work so I'll have to try the installation again and copy the error message. I was really just hoping someone knew what I was talking about

And I originally posted to the Mini 9 forum since I thought it might be Mini 9 specific

Alpine White Dell Mini 9 | Super Talent 32 GB SSD | G.SKILL 2 GB RAM | Windows 7 Professional
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-03-2009, 02:43 AM

Hey, can you install it on your main computer and then just copy out the folder to the mini??

That works for World of Warcraft because I've done it myself, but I'm not sure if Starcraft requires a CD in the drive (although it's a digital download lol).

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-03-2009, 05:16 AM

That's a smart idea. Only thing I can think of that would be a problem with that is that the key might tie it to one computer but I'll check. I'll try that tomorrow!

(#7) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Yeah, I installed it to an external drive and then copied it over. Works fine. I have no idea what the problem was but thanks for that suggestion

(#8) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Lucius
Default Re: Running Starcraft - 05-08-2009, 02:57 AM

FYI, I have had Starcraft running on my mini for a while now. I own it and made it into an ISO. I used that to install onto the mini, but to save room, I keep the ISO on my desktop and just mount it through my shared network. It only has to access it at startup to verify that I have the cd, then runs locally on the mini just fine. A little hard to play with the touchpad, but great with my logitech vx nano mouse.

Mini 9: White w/ Red Metal Gelaskin, Win Xp (soon to be OS X), BT,
8 GB SSD (32gb Runcore installed once OS X is purchased), 2GB RAM, Logitech VX Nano
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Running Starcraft - 05-08-2009, 03:06 AM

Starcraft works just fine on my mini. In fact, that's why I bought mine (roommates kept borrowing my Macbook to play it)...

I made images of my CDs and installed them that way, then I installed the latest patch. After doing that, you can take the install.exe files off of the Starcraft and Brood War CDs, and put them into your Starcraft directory as Starcraft.mpq and Broodwar.mpq (look in the patch release notes for 1.15.2 for more info) and then you don't even need the CD images anymore.

(Okay, so the install.exe files consist of most of the disc, but it's nice to not have to deal with having to mount the images.)
  (#10) Old

Default 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks for that Slab, I know what I will be doing with my Starcraft CD's this evening

Black Mini 9, 2gb Ram 32Gb SSD running Mac OS X 10.6

« Problem with Civilization III | Heroes of Might and Magic III (HOMM3) on Mini 1010 with XP Home SP3 »