Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 03-31-2009, 03:13 AM

I just put in MAME, the classic arcade emulator on my mini 9 a few days ago. Although, I find the emulator rather annoying to configure and use it with the right romsets, it seems to run most games at a decent pace. Don't expect to run Tekken or anything newish on it, but it will run many classic vertical shooters, 2D beat-em-ups, and crazy japanese games you've never heard of.

Some games I'd recommend:

Alien Vs Predator
Altered Beast
Asteroids
Asteroids Deluxe
Depth Charge
Galaga
Golden Axe
Lethal Enforcers
Metal Slug 1
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Mortal Kombat
Ms. Pacman
OutRun
Pacman
Pole Position
Red Baron
The Simpsons
Street Fighter 2
Sunset Riders
Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles I+II
X-Men

I'll probably make a YouTube video of some games in action on her, perhaps a tutorial to configure it game options, cheats, etc. Check it out for yourself though.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#2) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Wonder what Rygar plays like?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM

the original rygar? it plays great for a side-scrolling platformer. i sunk a fair amount of quarters into that beast back in the day

also check out kaillera.com for all you online, multiplayer, emulating retro-gamers!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-03-2009, 02:39 AM

That is funny though. It wasn't until years later did I play the arcade version of Rygar. I was like, "Hmm...different."

I didn't get lost at all.

It's too bad the newer Rygar is so lousy. They did a quick hack job of the PS2 version and dumped it onto the Wii with a white haired Rygar instead!

(Very Strange...) :roll:

Did you guys ever play those Neo Geo games? I love Metal Slug!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#5) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-03-2009, 05:35 AM

nothing's better than the originals! it's also nigh impossible to duplicate the sensation of inserting a quarter into the slot and hitting that player-1 button
neo geo is still great!
  (#6) Old

Unhappy Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-06-2009, 02:21 AM

The timing of this post is great! I just got my Mini 9 yesterday (Ubuntu) and have spent most of this evening trying to get MAME to run. I've gone through both Add/Remove and Synaptic Package Manager, and for both sdlMAME and X-MAME I can't even get the app to launch. When running it from the Terminal I get the following error:

GLERROR: cannot access OpenGL library libGL.so
GLERROR: dlerror() returns [libGL.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
Use of OpenGL mode disabled
XDGAOpenFramebuffer failed
Use of DGA-modes is disabled
error: compiled byte ordering doesn't match machine byte ordering.
compiled for MSB first, are you sure you chose the right cpu in makefile.unix?

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this happening to anyone else? I've been running MAME on various platforms (DOS, Windows, Mac) for over a decade, but I'm not especially knowledgeable about running it from a UNIX terminal. From what I can decypher it seems like the relevant part is the last two lines, which imply that the app was compiled for a different CPU?

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Could it be an incompatible version/cpu version of Linux MAME? It should be like x86 32bit for it I think. I read one article and it said it might not be compiled correctly...sorry I'm not much help....

I first received my Mini 9 with Ubuntu installed. I was extremely displeased with it, so I installed Windows XP SP3 on it. You might want to consider installing XP if you have continuing problems.

(#8) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM

ypu can play any 2D fighting game, like Samurai Shodown or King of Fighters. i've got a PS2 controller adapter just to play KoF98 :mrgreen:

sory me no spiko english
  (#9) Old

Default Re: MAME on the Dell Mini 9 - 04-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Oh, I just played Marvel vs Capcom yesterday. Very impressed. Very. Had some slowdown with MKII though.

I can still remember running MAME on my ol' Pentium 120MHZ Gateway 2000 (yes, 2000) and it choking on games.

Now I'm doing it at 1/6 the cost! :lol:

I really figure that I might just hook up a VGA cable at ppl's houses and bring 2 controllers to play. This is why everybody that loves arcade classics should have a Mini.

(#10) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 03:48 AM

has anyone tried checking to see how Killer Instinct or Killer Instinct 2 runs in mame on the mini 9? Course I also wonder if it wouldn't run better using the original U64Emu that only plays KI1 and KI2.

I'm curious to see how the Hyperspin Frontend responds on the Mini9/A90 as well as Kega Fusion 3.61

Dell Vostro A90 | SOLD - Dell Inspiron e1705 | SOLD
Dell Latitude D630 | 500gb HDD | 8gb RAM | W7 Pro 64bit | nVidia 135M (256mb)
Dell Precision T3500 "The Beast" W3570 quadcore 3.20ghz | 12gb 1333mhz ram | nVidia 240GT 1gb | Win 7 Pro 64bit | 12TB storage

« Diablo 2 on A90 Sound issues. Help! | The Steam Sale »