Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM

One of my all-time favorite games (I also play the miniatures version), there are a couple of issues with this game and the Mini 9:

* Copy protection requires a CD-ROM drive when launching the game. If you know where to look, a hacked EXE can be found to get around this issue.
* No hardware T&L so the game launches in safe mode, at 800x600, graphics set to minimum settings. The screen stretches to fit.

The game is completely playable, and the frame rates don't drop off too badly, even when firing an orbital bombardment

Getting an iPad
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 10-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Glad to hear you got it to run. The DoW series is one of my favorite RTS's. I had assumed since the intel 950 graphics acceleration did not support transform and lighting it would not run.

Dell Mini 9, 16gig SSD, 2gig Memory, Windows xp
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 01-22-2009, 10:33 PM

DOW Soulstorm work?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM

I bought my DoW and expansions through Direct2Drive so no CD worries there or need for a crack. Don't know as I could suffer playing it on a mini9 though
  (#5) Old

Unhappy Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM

What kind of options/tweaks did you use to run DOW?

I overclocked my Mini9 to the maximum supported by GMA Booster, and killed off all other running programs... but still the frame rate is pretty much too low for me to actually call it "playable".

Oh, and which game version did you use? II tried out with the original retail version, installed straight from the CD without any patches. I'm guessing that maybe some of the later patches improve the game's performance.

Warhammer 40K is one of my most favourite game franchises (I also collected the miniatures), and I'd very much like to be able to play DOW on the go.

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

White Mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 8GB SSD | Windows XP Professional
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Since I installed Windows 7 I have not yet re-installed any games. I will probably give it a try this week.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dawn of War + Winter Assault - 03-25-2009, 02:45 AM

I tried some additional steps to improve performance:

1. I had previously installed DoW to my 16GB Class 6 SDHC, since my SSD is only 8GB. I removed this installation, and installed DoW to the SSD

2. I've patched DoW up to v1.40, which is supposed to improve performance

Even after these 2 steps, I couldn't see any appreciable improvement in the performance.
I played through the first 2 missions in the campaign, and I'll have to say that the game is "playable" in the barest sense of the word.

Frame rate isn't too bad when you're just starting out with building your base, but it quickly goes down once you start getting into bigger fights.

For example, I had 8 squads of Space Marines (each squad reinforced to 8 men, plus Sergeant) assault the Ork base at the end of Mission #2, and the screen was almost a slideshow. I guess the frame rate was something like 3 fps.

I'll try a "clean boot" tonight (with only the bare essential services loaded), and see what kind of improvement I get.

White Mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 8GB SSD | Windows XP Professional

« Age of Empires 3? | Install Games on SDHC Card? »