Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Hello guys,

I have been a ROM for a while in this forum, but I thought I'd actively involve myself here.

Well, I currently own Dell mini 9 with 4GB Stock SSD and 2GB memory, running XP professional.

I have been interested in buying a runcore SSD (probably the 16GB one, as I am a poor college student... :roll: ).
And, one of the big factors upon deciding to really buy it or not is how well EA sports games run (especially the FIFA series). It probably has to do a lot with the video card as well, but I think the speed of the hard drive should matter to a certain extent.

I would like to try it myself, but with XP installed on a 4GB SSD, I don't have enough disk space to do so.
If there is anybody out there who has the games running or has made an attempt, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-13-2009, 04:58 PM

You might want to post your question in the Windows Games section, HERE. Also, in that forum, there is a pinned topic with a list of games that are playable on the Mini, which they add to often.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM

I dont think games are hit by a performance decrease much by speeds of SSD/external drives.

the Video card and Atom CPU are the limiting factors. I doubt you could play the newer EA sports titles,but im sure you could play some from a few years back ok. I dont have any of them to test tho.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#4) Old

Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM

I have Tiger Woods 2005 running fine now but FIFA is a much faster game. Not sure how recent a game you would be able to run.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallstar
You might want to post your question in the Windows Games section, HERE. Also, in that forum, there is a pinned topic with a list of games that are playable on the Mini, which they add to often.
Thank you for letting me know. I didn't see that part of the forum until you mentioned. But it seems like it has already been moved...? I am not sure. But if that is the case, thank you very much whoever did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03
I dont think games are hit by a performance decrease much by speeds of SSD/external drives.

the Video card and Atom CPU are the limiting factors. I doubt you could play the newer EA sports titles,but im sure you could play some from a few years back ok. I dont have any of them to test tho.
Yeah, I see. I asked only because when I replace a hard disk on my laptop with a faster and larger one, I felt like a lot of programs ran faster, including EA games. But maybe I was dreaming. hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed
I have Tiger Woods 2005 running fine now but FIFA is a much faster game. Not sure how recent a game you would be able to run.
I see. Yeah I would be happy if it could run a Fifa worldcup 2006 or something. I will give it a try as soon as I decide to buy one of the Runcore SSDs and finally get it.

Come to think of it, a person's name in the game title is kind of weird. I mean Tiger Woods is pretty dominating.
But so was Ronaldinho at his best times. Ronaldinho 08 for the title will sound a bit weird... 8-)
  (#6) Old

Send a message via MSN to 273BeLow
Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM

I have a 16Gb SSD got a couple of games on itwhich run great, rather than buy a 64Gb runcore just now I got a small external 320Gb HDD which is powered off USB, I have more games installed on this and they run fine, good cheaper option if you don't want to splash out on a new SSD and ghost/reinstall your OS.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: EA games on Dell Mini 9 - 02-19-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273BeLow
I have a 16Gb SSD got a couple of games on itwhich run great, rather than buy a 64Gb runcore just now I got a small external 320Gb HDD which is powered off USB, I have more games installed on this and they run fine, good cheaper option if you don't want to splash out on a new SSD and ghost/reinstall your OS.
Ah! I don't know why I did not think of that option.
I just installed FIFA 08 onto my external HD and ran it on mini.
I am very surprised how well the game plays. Even though it sometimes gets choppy, it is perfectly playable without any stress.
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I guess now I have one less reason to buy a SSD upgrade... hehe

« Old School Games on Mini 9 | how to get Battlefield 1942 working? »