Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default games on the Duo - 03-23-2011, 09:31 PM

i`m wondering if any of you tried any pc games on the Duo?

i tried installing command and conquer 3, but after building 2 buildings the game crashes...

now i would like to know if any of you tried installing games which werent intended for a netbook and succeeded
  (#2) Old

Default games on the Duo - 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM

I've played Civilization 3 Complete extensively with no issues (downloaded from GamersGate).

I've also played Angry Birds through the Intel Appup center (using the touch screen), but it was specifically designed for netbooks.
  (#3) Old

Default 03-25-2011, 12:59 AM

i installed freedom fighters and angry birds.angry birds works fine but freedom fighters runs very fast so i have to run an app called Max CPU by Kenny Kerr since freedom fighters runs better on p3 or p4 processors game was made in 2003.but very cool game. i also have motionin joy installed so i can use my ps3 controller instead of keyboard.just not touch screen support.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM

A lot of this has been gone over in this thread: Touchscreen Games and Apps

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#5) Old

Exclamation 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
A lot of this has been gone over in this thread: Touchscreen Games and Apps
not quite ...

i`m not at all talking about games optimized for touchscreens, but about games that were originally designed for desktop pc`s.

C&C3 is a good example because the specs of the Duo should be sufficient to run C&C3, but still it won`t run.

that is why i started the thread, to see if anyone tried to install games intended for a desktop that works on the Duo ( and i mean games that were released within the last 12 months and are actually enjoyable)
  (#6) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannoRobin View Post
that is why i started the thread, to see if anyone tried to install games intended for a desktop that works on the Duo ( and i mean games that were released within the last 12 months and are actually enjoyable)
Well your kinda out of luck. Most games that will run on the duo that were intended for the desktop are old. The duo can run flash games but not much more.

A great PC game that *might* work on the duo would be freelancer or mechwarrior. I am also sure the old Half Life games would be great

I would also look into using a Nintendo emulator for old Gameboy or Nintendo64 games. They are always fun and should work on the duo.

There is not an industry for low-graphic PC games of 2011, your only real source would be Ported mobile/tablet games (such as angry birds), flash games (such as pogo stuff), and older PC games.

If anyone sees a new game, with low graphics requirements then I am all ears, I still however feel it is highly unlikely
(Minecraft does not count as it is a CPU intensive game despite the low graphics illusion, it will most likely not preform on the duo.)

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#7) Old

Smile 03-27-2011, 04:54 AM

I've installed World of Warcraft on the Duo and it runs fine. I can't really raid on this but I can chat, play the AH, and do some easy grinding. Using the touch capabilities to kill a few mobs on the first boot up was fun.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM

I hope you understand my desire to reduce the clutter caused by multiple threads.
The subject matter itself is quite interesting.

Something that has made my life a little easier with older games is disabling the accelerometer.
You have me curious about some older games now. maybe i'll go into the archives and try a couple of older favorites out.

I'm wondering how SimCity might fare...

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast

Last edited by strider_mt2k; 03-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 04:14 PM

If you want to go all the way back, you can run dos games in Dosbox. I'm playing Monkey Island and King's Quest which are point and click adventures. The screen size is ideal. I use the dock with a mouse. Old RPG games run fine.
  (#10) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowkeruk View Post
If you want to go all the way back, you can run dos games in Dosbox. I'm playing Monkey Island and King's Quest which are point and click adventures. The screen size is ideal. I use the dock with a mouse. Old RPG games run fine.
Surely point and click games would be great for the touchscreen. I play starcraft II on my duo with the touchscreen. Takes a bit of getting used to and you have to tweak the settings right but it is enjoyable.
Am going to try Age of empires III when i get a chance

« Best setting for game | Minecraft on Dellmini 10v »