Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default Mac Games for Mini9 - 01-17-2010, 12:53 AM

Hello,
I am a hardcore gamer on my windows desktop, but i've recently hackintoshed my mini9 and so I want to find some good games for it.

I am looking for highly populated RTS or FPS MULTIPLAYER games that will run at a competitive performance level, natively, on OSX.

RTS = Real Time Strategy (starcraft, warcraft, C&C)
FPS = First Person Shooter (counter strike, unreal tournament)

If i had windows on this system, i would most likely install starcraft, diablo II, and counter strike to keep my gaming fix in check. any mac osx equivalents of these games would be amazing to find.

and also i am really against running crossover programs like WINE. i would prefer to find similar games that install natively on OSX
  (#2) Old

Default 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Your Starcraft & Diablo II CDs are (most likely!) multi-platform, so will install in OSX fine - just get the latest patches from Blizzard so you can run them on an intel mac. They will also play without an attached CD drive, as they can run from a DMG
C&C Zero Hour Runs great on my Mini 10v with 1GB RAM, but you need the disc in the drive.

Can't help with FPS however, as I don't have any.
  (#3) Old

Default 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM

haha you're so right!

i didnt remember them being compatible with mac but i just looked up the games and you're right. nice!

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaty73 View Post
Your Starcraft & Diablo II CDs are (most likely!) multi-platform, so will install in OSX fine - just get the latest patches from Blizzard so you can run them on an intel mac. They will also play without an attached CD drive, as they can run from a DMG
C&C Zero Hour Runs great on my Mini 10v with 1GB RAM, but you need the disc in the drive.

Can't help with FPS however, as I don't have any.
can you give me a guide or point me in the direction to install/run them with a DMG ??
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 01-19-2010, 03:23 AM

log onto battle.net, register your cd keys and you can download the DMGs you need straight from blizzard.

Mini 10v | N270 | Windows 7 | 2GB | 500GB | BIOS A06
  (#5) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Or using your CD's, use Disk Utility to create new images from them. Mount the DMG on the desktop and you should be good to go!

Didn't know you could download them straight from Blizzard, good tip that :-)
  (#6) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Well i ran into a speedbump. I registered my CD Keys with blizzard and was given the option to download my content for both mac and windows. Excited, i downloaded and installed the Mac content onto my mini9. Upon First launch of the game I was prompted to re-enter my CD keys. Here's the problem: Mac CD keys differ from Windows CD keys. Because my physical copies were purchased for the windows platform, my CD keys will not unlock my games for mac use.

long story short, to be able to play Starcraft and Diablo II on my OSX Mini will require me to repurchase both games for the MAC Platform. Fail.
  (#7) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmini View Post
Well i ran into a speedbump. I registered my CD Keys with blizzard and was given the option to download my content for both mac and windows. Excited, i downloaded and installed the Mac content onto my mini9. Upon First launch of the game I was prompted to re-enter my CD keys. Here's the problem: Mac CD keys differ from Windows CD keys. Because my physical copies were purchased for the windows platform, my CD keys will not unlock my games for mac use.

long story short, to be able to play Starcraft and Diablo II on my OSX Mini will require me to repurchase both games for the MAC Platform. Fail.
Go back to the Battle.net site and use the CD key shown on the site. I did the same thing and it's working great on my Mini 10v, and I was in the same situation you were. I suspect that the CD key on the Battle.net website is different from the one that came with your software.
  (#8) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Frompkin, i only wish i would have read your post sooner. i just got off the phone with blizzard tech support and they suggested that i do the same. now i've got starcraft installed and running great

thanks for all the help and replies.

« Diablo1 and hell fire??? | Mini 10 / Mini 10v »