Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Cool Neverwinter Nights 1 on Ubuntu: TIPS - 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Hey all,

Before you purchase Hordes of the Underdark, or even patch your original game to 1.69, be advised that your performance will be cut in half.

The original NWN campaign has the best performance of all the NWN series; just go to [URL="http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html"] and follow the instructions. NWN game data is given to you for free! Just get the large 1.1 gb file and the smaller 5mb file, follow directions (no need to patch until you run into bugs) and keep your game as the original campaign. Remember that you NEED an original legitimate CD key, so go ahead and buy the copy of the game (it's bioware, come on, you know they deserve it).

Performance of HotU (NWN platinum install) in ubuntu is 16 fps max indoors
The original campaign, same locations? 30 fps indoors.

If you want to play NWN, you must ask yourself: What do you value? Performance and playability? Or extra content, spells, etc?

Be sure to edit your ini files, as well, to keep graphics options low.

Best of luck to you all!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM

I'm not a PC gamer, but I appreciate the info.

A professional game without onerous DRM or activation (right?), without the need for an optical drive, and with official Linux support sounds pretty good. And it doesn't hurt that the game has an 89% rating on gamerankings.com

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Do not completely disable shadows: Enable them about halfway and about 1/4 the way for dynamic shadows in the in-game video menu. This will eliminate weird clipping artifact on many shadows and outdoors/water textures.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM

So a while ago I found out that every time you load the game, you must alter whatever your dynamic shadows setting is. I usually go from lowest to second to lowest, and then on my next session, vice versa. It's a little odd, but it works. It's still a great game with awesome mods, too.
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 05-03-2010, 11:56 PM

I still don't personally need the info you're providing, but I'm sure some lurker has benefited.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 05-08-2010, 03:29 AM

haha!

The way I see it, for everyone one user that has a problem, there is probably at least one lurker looking for a solution, too.

« Could anyone help me with installing mame on osx | Steam and Torchlight under Wine in Lucid Ubuntu »