Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#11) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

A fantastic replacement for Torchlight on a netbook I found is 'FATE', released 2005.

Runs pretty well on lowest settings, 800x600 and a lot of fun to play.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#12) Old

Default 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Cool! I was thinking about trying FATE earlier. I'll see if I can dig out my activation key for it at some point. How does the game look at low settings? I remember it being quite pretty on full everything.

Red 16GB Dell Mini 9 - Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth

Add me on: Twitter/Last.fm/Flickr/Facebook

(#13) Old

Default 12-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I've just found out about this game via another forum. Website is:

Torchlight by Runic Games

It's the first game I've seen with a netbook mode in the options to allow it to run smoothly on a standard netbook spec.

It's an 'action RPG' and is very addictive. It's $19.99 from the official site and is offered as a download. It's also available from other sources but I'll not go into that on here as I genuinely believe that the game is worth every penny.

Anyway, I've got nothing to do with the game so don't want to seem like I'm giving it the hard sell but if you're after a good game to play on your mini then this is definitely worth a look.
seen that game on AOTS yesterday, they said its alot like D2
  (#14) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 12-05-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
Cool! I was thinking about trying FATE earlier. I'll see if I can dig out my activation key for it at some point. How does the game look at low settings? I remember it being quite pretty on full everything.
It looks pretty good considering the low settings. I initially installed the game onto my SD card but it took so long to install and load levels, as well as being a pretty small install directory (less than 500MB) that I have put it straight to SSD.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#15) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 12-05-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud23 View Post
seen that game on AOTS yesterday, they said its alot like D2
the guys who worked on diablo and fate also created torchlight.

Mini 10v | N270 | Windows 7 | 2GB | 500GB | BIOS A06
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-06-2009, 10:28 AM

Torchlight does look like an interesting game, which the developers state will run OK on netbooks, which makes a nice change!

Out of interest, has anyone tried it on a Mini 10v, and if so, how did they find it performed?

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#17) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Torchlight does look like an interesting game, which the developers state will run OK on netbooks, which makes a nice change!

Out of interest, has anyone tried it on a Mini 10v, and if so, how did they find it performed?
people have had varying success running it on netbooks. check the torchlight forums for more info on that.

Mini 10v | N270 | Windows 7 | 2GB | 500GB | BIOS A06
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikistired View Post
people have had varying success running it on netbooks. check the torchlight forums for more info on that.
Thanks, but I have already had a look on there, which is why I had directed my question on here to Mini 10v users, as I am interested to hear of their views and experiences at first hand as it were.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#19) Old

Default 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Thanks, but I have already had a look on there, which is why I had directed my question on here to Mini 10v users, as I am interested to hear of their views and experiences at first hand as it were.
Even with GMABooster running at 400MHz, the framerate is awful. From what I've seen on my main rig, the game only gets more hectic as you progress further through, so I'd imagine it would be basically unplayable past about level 4, particularly on Hard mode where death can come very quickly without having to contend with control lag!

From what I played, I found the experience so far from enjoyable as to not be worth bothering with on the Mini 9, and I'd imagine the Mini 10v would be a similar story. If you're still curious about testing the performance yourself, I'd urge you to download the demo which lets you play for a good two hours before kicking you out. You can get it on the official site: Torchlight – Runic Games

I hope they fix the netbook mode in a future patch because this would be a lot of fun to play on the go. At the moment it stinks of false advertising. If I'd bought the game for my netbook I wouldn't be a very happy customer right now...

Red 16GB Dell Mini 9 - Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth

Add me on: Twitter/Last.fm/Flickr/Facebook

« Loki Call to Power | possable? »