Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default FreeRealms works - 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM

Not many of you probably play this game, but for a casual player, it works pretty well if you can make friends quickly.
www.freerealms.com
It's based off of the Wow engine I believe, but is geared more towards younger crowds/the casual gamer and is free to play. They do have premium add-ons, but you can easily play and have fun without them.

Any case, it does actually work pretty well on my mini9 (1gb), but there is something that needs to be done first in order to get it to load.
Quote:
I apologize for the technical level this fix requires, but please try the following steps and see if this helps resolve your issue.

You'll need to find your useroptions.ini file located in your Free Realms directory.
To find this file on Windows XP you'll need to go to:
C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Free Realms

To find this file on Windows Vista you'll need to go to:
C:\Users\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Free Realms\

(Note: if you don't see the App Data folder, then you will need to unhide it by going into your Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Files and Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > select "Show all hidden files and folders")

Open up your useroptions.ini file

*Example*

[Display]
FullscreenRefresh=75
FullscreenWidth=1024
FullscreenHeight=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
Mode=Windowed
You'll want to adjust the Width and Height settings to match your monitor.
If you need to enter windowed mode and are not able to make it all the way into the client you can follow these directions:
Under Mode you want to enter "Windowed".

Save the file and relaunch the game.

Let us know if you are still having problems. Thank you.
You probably won't have the ini file yet since you won't be able to load yet, but making a txt file and changing the extension works just fine.

I haven't tried racing or demo derby, but general gameplay, battles, and soccer work really well with all video settings turned down. I could probably push it a little, but I'm fine with this.

The only problem that I've found is that the menus weren't made for this so some of the buttons are now hidden (namely the inventory since it takes up most of the screen normally). Though you can easily avoid using this until you get to a larger monitor.

« GMABooster Mac link broken | Guild Wars »