Gaming Discussion on netbook gaming.

(#1) Old

Default World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Okay... this was too good to be true:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220315117778

$70 is the cheapest I have seen a Sandisk SDHC Extreme III 16GB card.

I have a 64GB RunCore card on order, to be shipped on or around December 8th (anyone want a 64GB old slow card for cheap? ).

I am watching the thread concerning a BIOS update to expand Video Memory to 225MB.

I have a 2GB memory card installed.

When everything comes together, I will test WoW WotLK as loaded on the 64GB Runcore SSD, and as loaded on the 16GB SDHC Extreme III card, connected via Sandisk MicroMate card reader to USB. Hopefully, framerate will reveal which is faster. I'm really hoping that RunCode wins, because who wants to have an ugly USB dongle spoiling Mini 9's pretty profile. :lol:

Oh, I also have a cooling fan plate, which is powered by the USB ports on a Belkin 3-plug Surge Protector... so I won't stress the Mini 9's power supply any more than I already will be with this config, and hopefully keep it cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-Mini-Surg...3A1%7C294%3A50

Am I missing anything for this test?

Mini 9 - 2GB Mem, 64GB (the old slow one) SSD, XP Home from scratch
  (#2) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM

I am eager to see your results. I am really hoping that video card BIOS fix materializes (I am watching that thread, too).

A couple of questions-

1. Why are you using a dongle for SDHC? Is there a shortcoming with the build-in reader?

2. Why not a USB Flash Drive? I was under the impression, perhaps erroneously, that the higher end flash drives were faster than SD cards.

As for WoW testing - Please do everyone a favor and actually test it in various parts of the game. I have seen numerous threads and videos around the internet of someone loading up a trial copy of WoW and running around the virtually empty starting areas and calling it a test. I would really like to know how it runs in more depth. I would never try to PvP or raid, but I would like to know how it handles itself in solo questing in BC, Northrend, 5-man instances, and, dare I say, it - Cities.

Thank you very much, by the way. As someone looking for a machine for mobile productivity, who is also a closet-case play-WoW-all-night-after-a-productive-work-day, I'm hoping the Mini9 that I just ordered will be my road-warrior-buddy. I really appreciate you taking the time to test WoW out.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-04-2008, 12:39 AM

From all reports I have received, the built-in reader is very slow. So, I'm testing the Sandisk MicroMate Reader + Sandisk Extreme III (Class=6) card to see how it will perform.

Oh, yes, I'll be testing in heavily populated city settings, PvP arenas, and (if it can be done at all) end-game instances.

(#4) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-04-2008, 01:04 AM

I'm not crazy for thinking it just might work - rather well.

My iBook G4, circa 2005, ran WoW passably. It was 1GHz G4 CPU with 1GIG RAM and a 32mb Radeon 9200 Mobile on a 4200 RPM hard drive. I leveled up while at school on that machine.

My original desktop for WoW, back in 2004, was a P3 800 w/ a Radeon 9200 (don't remember how much VRAM) and 512mb of RAM. I played my first character to 60 on that setup, including the odd instance. I thought it "passable" back then.

So, why is it so far fetched to think that a 1.6 GHz Atom w/ 2Gb of RAM and (hopefully) 224mb of borrowed VRAM running on better optimized drivers and a better optimized game code couldn't do the job passably?

I hope no one is getting me wrong here - I would never suggest a Mini9 as a gaming rig. I just hope it can do the job on the road.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-04-2008, 04:58 AM

The thing about those Sandisk Extreme IIIs that you linked to is that they're not the 30MB/s version as cost ~$130 most places, they're the older 20MB/s version, which isn't all that much faster than the ~$65 current Sandisk Ultra II cards. There is a distinct possibility that they are counterfeit also. Also, this is suspect:

"We ship from 3 different locations, Canada, USA and Hong Kong, depends on stock availability."

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#6) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM

that is annoying news. :?

(#7) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-08-2008, 04:05 PM

This is quite amusing, as one of the reasons I'm purchasing a Mini 9 is just because I *can't* play WoW on it.
That's what my big green 1750 is for.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: World of Warcraft... a work in progress - 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM

I'm still waiting for the RunCore SSD, but here is my report on playing WoW with the stock 16GB SSD, 2GB Memory, with WoW on a Trandscent 16GB class=6 card (in a USB MicroMate card reader).

Frame rate in the starting WotLK area castle is between 7 and 9. Slightly higher out in the field.

I'm playing a rogue, and using a Nostromo N52 to handle mashing my buttons for me.

I have leveled from 70 to 71 on the mini.

I'm on a PvP server (Korgath), so I sometimes get ganked... but then since I am a rogue, I often seek out and gank the ganker in return.

So, simple quests are pretty easy to do, as is farming (my character is a mining herbalist).

When I go to Ogrimmar (and sometimes in the starting castle in Borean Tundra), I aget kicked off the server because of lag sometimes.

More to come as I add upgrades, the first of which will probably be the RunCore SSD.

« Gametap? | Suitable games »