Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Default Most hilarious thing I've read EVER regarding the Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM

TUAW, or "The Unofficial Apple Weblog" is a Weblogs Inc. site in the same blogging network as Engadget, Joystiq, Autoblog, Wowinsider, etc. TUAW always has had pretty lackluster writing on it, and the few opinion pieces they publish almost always are remarkably stupid, but Steven Sande's "Road Tested: Why the hackb00k is a fail" has left me doing one of these all day long-

If the fact that someone who expects to be taken seriously is using "fail" as a noun like they're posting on 4chan isn't enough to send your face burying in to your palm, here are some excerpts:

I wrote about creating a hackintosh (AKA hackb00k) out of a Dell mini 9 in a long post back in October of 2008, and at that time I was fairly impressed with the low cost and capabilities of the device. However, after actually using the mini 9 for six months, I find it almost useless as a "real computer" and have decided that it needs to go.
My first real work with the mini 9 began in November, when I decided to acclimate myself to its diminutive keyboard by using it during NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) to work on a novel.
I'm accustomed to using the trackpad on my MacBook Air with multi-touch gestures. After reading how some other hackb00k users had been able to get multi-touch gestures working, I applied the appropriate patches and gave it a try. Sure, it worked for a little bit, and then began to irritate me when the gestures would fail.
I should have gone for the standard hard disk that was available at the time of purchase (Dell no longer offers a standard hard disk; only a SSD is available with the mini 9). 16GB is not enough capacity to load an OS, a complete office suite, and actually do some work.
Next, the limited screen resolution (1024 x 600) of the mini 9 made it virtually impossible to use some Mac apps that have default minimized screen sizes that are larger than that. Those apps simply had to be removed from the device, and I was stuck with a somewhat crippled hackb00k that didn't have the software tools I normally use.
Full article here: ... is-a-fail/

Or, as someone else put it-

"I bought a computer with a small keyboard" - I can't type my novel with this thing!
"I bought a computer with limited storage" - I can't install all my huge programs on this thing!
"I installed OS X on it which has nothing to do with my complaints about the hardware, so let's make an article called 'hackb00k is fail' to be witty and cool on the internets".

(#2) Old
Default Re: Most hilarious thing I've read EVER regarding the Mini 9 - 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2!
Got Static?

« hackintosh article on mini9 | openoffice 2.4 broken »