Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#171) Old
Default 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

woo! now if someone could return the favour :P
  (#172) Old
Default 08-31-2010, 11:59 PM

Another one, thanks guys!
  (#173) Old
Cool Tutorial: Max out your dropbox - 09-05-2010, 02:17 AM

This method isn't at all nice toward Dropbox, but then they ARE offering 10 free GB to everyone. This is just a twist on their legitimate method for acquiring free space.

Here is how I maxed out my free Dropbox at 10GBs:

NOTE: this will require some discipline and patience on your part as it can get tedious fast.

1a. Create a crap-load of temporary email accounts or use the ones you already have. (these days people's dogs have 3 gmail accounts).
Recall that 1 activated invite = 250 MBs. If you are at 2GB, that means you'll need 4 x 8 = 32 email accounts! This of course is a bit of an overkill, so this method is probably best for people who are close to maxing out or just want a few extra MBs.

So, create as many temporary gmail/yahoo/hotmail/whatever email accounts as you need and make sure to save them all for later use. I suggest using a single password for all of them.

Caveat: Most email providers will not allow you to create more than a few email addresses. If you are on dynamic IP, this can help. Using different browsers also helps. I was able to milk several Gmail accounts on a single IP address just by using every possible browser I could find.

1b. Invite your 'friends'.
Recall, Dropbox allows you to invite friends through the web-client. In this case your 'friends' will be your dummy email addresses. Now that you have all those email addresses, just invite them all to the party via the Dropbox's web-client.

2. Get Virtual Box or VMWare:
Install your flavor of virtualizing software on a powerful machine. I used VMWare on Windows to get the job done.

3. Get OS to virtualize:
Download an Ubuntu ISO to use as a template for all ur VMs.
VMWare Workstation can run a series of VMs side by side, like a LAN. I used this to my advantage and was happily installing 8 VMs at the same time from the single Ubuntu ISO.

4. Install each virtual machine, then Dropbox:
Install as many VMs as you need, then install a Dropbox client inside each VM.

5. Finally, activate your account using one of your dummy email addresses.
Just go from the top of your list of saved email addresses and activate one per VM. When this process is successful inside the VM, you'll get a popup on your host saying "your space was just increased". Once this occurs, you can discard that VM.

It seems that Dropbox tracks which system you have already installed it on, so new VMs may be necessary to repeat the process. I didn't really explore.
Like I said, this isn't at all nice to Dropbox, but then I don't think they are hurting for business just yet given that they have recently increased their free capacity.

If you can afford it or need it, by all means give back to Dropbox. Until then, if people stopped clicking on your referral link, this method will give you fresh space for free.

SSD(refurb) 64GB

Black Mini 9 w/ 2 Apple logo stickers over the Dell logo, 64GB Dell SSD, bluetooth, webcam; OS X 10.5.8 w/ NetbookInstaller 0.8.3; no more Ubuntu
  (#174) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM

(#175) Old
Default 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Join Dropbox, it's FREE! A great way to sync and share files - Use this link and we both receive EXTRA space FREE - plus students now get even more! -
  (#176) Old
Default 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM

(#177) Old
Default 10-03-2010, 07:20 PM

This is my referral link, I need some space

mini 10v, N270, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, OSX 10.6.2, NBI0.8.4, windows 7 ultimate dual boot
  (#178) Old
Default 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM

I've closed this thread - it seems to be mostly attracting non-members who join and post only here, and the thread seems rather out of place in this forum.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Like NEW! Loaded Dell Mini 10v 1011 Black | Nickelodeon 10V »