Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Default Upgrading to A04 Bios with MacOS - 02-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to share this little trick with you. My ROM Bios was factory A00, and I suspected that this might be causing some issued I had (it wasn't, but hey, I have the new BIOS Now). The problem, as many of you might have noticed, is that the ROM BIOS updater is Windows only. I did not want to install Windows just for the purpose of updating the BIOS.

What I was able to do is create a Windows-lite live CD, technically called a "PreInstall Environment". In short, it creates a live CD that includes just enough windows to be able to run the BIOS updater. Check here to read more:

This provides a tool that creates a bootable ISO image. When you are defining your image, you can select other files and / or executables to be included on the boot image. What I got in the end was a bootable CD that allowed me to update the BIOS without interfering with the SSD at all!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default Re: Upgrading to A04 Bios with MacOS - 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Or you could just flash under DOS, which has been proven to be much faster (less<1min) and safer than under Windoze ...

« bluetooth can't turn it off | Can the Mini 12 run OS X as well as the Mini 9? »