Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Default Manually switching SDDs to boot Win7 and OSX? - 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM

Hey Forum!
It's been awhile since I last posted, so it's just great to see that everyone here's still so active!

Just bought a new 16GB Mini 9 after my old one died and promptly swapped out it's XP Home SSD for my working Win7 SSD. As I have no need to run XP and am very happy with single-booting 7, I was thinking about installing OSX on the currently XP SSD and carrying it around with me, manually unscrewing and switching out SSDs if I ever wanted to change OS's.

Was curious if anyone's heard of this being tried or has any ideas. What I'm nervous about is once I install OSX on the other SSD, the computer's boot is going to assume that I have ONLY OSX installed, even when I switch back to the Win7 SSD, and won't display Win7 as an OS option. Anyone have any idea how to get around this and even get the BIOS/Chamelon to always display a dual-boot option? (i.e. I would love for the BIOS to always display a dual boot option, even though the SSD installed would always either be fully OSX or fully Win7).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'll keep everyone posted if I figure it out!

All the best,

M9 | Ross Perot skin (AUTOGRAPHED!) | 16GB | 2GB RAM | Win3.1
M9 | Meta "Fingerprinted Mini" skin | 32GB | 1GB RAM | Win 98SE
M9 | Mirrored skin (fyi: scanning a mirror doesn't work)| 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | DOS
  (#2) Old
Default 07-12-2010, 01:03 AM

Please don't crosspost.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Black mini 1010 | Dell Streak UI Developer Q&A Feedback Chat 8PM GMT 12/07/2010 »