Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Dell Streak UI Developer Q&A Feedback Chat 8PM GMT 12/07/2010 - 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Hi All,

I've managed to organise a public feedback chat with Neil Everette, the User Experience manager for mobile products at Dell, and most importantly, the man who knows everything there is to know about the Dell Streak customised UI.

This is a rare chance for you to ask the devs some questions about the upcoming Dell Streak UI, make suggestions and hopefully have an influence on the new version coming with the Android 2.2 update. Hopefully we may learn a thing or two from the devs as well!

The event will take place 8PM UK Time (GMT +1) On Monday 12th, July so it will be in the afternoon if you're across the pond. Make sure you check your timezone so you don't miss out! (it's GMT+1 in the UK because of DST at the moment, so 7PM GMT)

The chat will take place in #streakdevchat on For those of you who cannot setup an IRC client like mIRC, a simple chat applet can be access here - it is all setup to the right chat rooms and is ready to go.

If you are unable to make the event, post your question here and I will try and make sure it is included.

Chat starts soon!
Access Chat Here
Anyone having problems with the chat applet, it's now been fixed!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-04-2010, 05:40 AM

There is a simple pet-peeve in the current UI, although I doubt it's a Dell thing, it maybe something they can tweak/improve for the overall experience, I'd like to pose it as a question/suggestion as I wouldn't be able to make the event.

The 'auto-complete' for text fields that list up your previous searches for selecting, don't let you edit the text before it is submitted.

So if you had to type out a relatively long criteria before, I have to retype the whole thing and then make my manual adjustments, and it would be nicer to just act like auto-complete does on PCs and let you type just the first few letters to get the list generated, then select one of the previous (or suggested) items, and then get the chance to make final edits before the Done/Enter action is fired.

This is helpful also when you're using the voice recognition to do a search, and it gets 9/10 words correctly but the wrong one causes it generate a rubbish set of answers. I have to re-say or re-type the entire thing, when I'd rather just quickly text edit and fix the one bad word when repeating the search.

(This assumes I've not overlooked something daft but I don't think I missed anything here).
  (#3) Old
Default 07-05-2010, 12:24 PM

A better way of selecting text for copying.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM

I would definately suggest an option to include/exclude the number pad on the virtual keyboard. That would be great. That is what some people seem to find most annoying about the phone, but i guess others find it quite useful.
  (#5) Old
Default 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Main gripe for me is the lack of folder support in the media player!

I have quite a few shows I watch on the go, and being able to organise them quickly and cleanly like that would be good. I'm currently choosing to browse my files with ASTRO rather than the app provided due to this!
  (#6) Old
Default 07-06-2010, 04:52 AM

I 2nd the keyboard issue. An option to loose the number pad and have larger keys would be a winner for me.
  (#7) Old
Default 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

My biggest issue is with using the device on a phone call. It seems to be very easy to 'navigate' unintentionally whilst holding the device to the face. This tends to mean that when it comes to doing anything with the call (dialling digits or ending it etc), the phone "application" isn't there in the foreground, and it takes some time to get it back into the foreground. In a similar way, having the dialpad hidden is all very well and good, but covering up the terminate call button doesn't seem to be quite such a good idea. Switching between the two doesn't work so well for me - it would be good to be able to have both the terminate call, and the dialpad accessible at the same time.
  (#8) Old
Default 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM

This is great, i'm looking forward to it.
  (#9) Old
Default 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM

- When will the Froyo update come approximately?

- Will it be possible to hide the numpad in landscape mode in the next release (it breaks the
symmetry and makes typing somewhat awkward, more info: Dell Streak review -- Engadget ) ?

- will there be an official OTA update to fix the gmail syncing problem (a known android 1.6 issue)?
(more info and discussion: Why I'm not using the Dell Streak for email )

- why does the Dell Streak disable battery charging in Airplane mode
(more info and discussion: Dell Streak doesn't charge while in airplane mode ) other android devices do not do this

- seems like Dell Streak's front camera creates mirrored images/videos, will this be fixed?
(more info and discussion:
Dell Streak front camera produces mirrored results )

I hope this helps
  (#10) Old
Default 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM

can we have an option for the numpad on the keyboard?

I would rather see a full qwerty keyboard with the numbers along the top above the qwerty keys, thus moving the numpad and making the keys a little larger.

Kind Regards

« Manually switching SDDs to boot Win7 and OSX? | Black Dell Mini 9 with 2GB RAM, RunCore Pro 32GB SSD »