Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Default Defragment problem: still need to defrag after defrag! - 01-02-2009, 09:46 PM

When defrag is complete and I ask again to analyze, mini says I need to defrag the volume. Just upgraded to 2GB RAM, but don;t see how this would affect defrag of SSD. I have a 16GB SSD with 6.3 GB free. I notice there are four areas of unmovable files, there of which appear realtively large on the disk usage chart. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas how to resolve? Had expected speed gain with RAM upgrade but did not see. Suspect defrag isue may be keeping it slow.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Defragment problem: still need to defrag after defrag! - 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM

SSDs do not benefit from defragging other than the free space. The built-in defragger does not do such a good job.

RAM upgrade will not make your system faster. It simply allows you to run more and larger applications without paging.

Have you decompressed the disk?

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: Defragment problem: still need to defrag after defrag! - 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM

don't defrag, the read/write iteration will short your SDD life. anyway, SDD doesn't really need defrag like HDD, they don't have spinning plates with searching heads back and forth

sory me no spiko english
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Defragment problem: still need to defrag after defrag! - 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM

Do some research on the term "Wear Leveling".. SSD's have a controller on them that purposely fragments the data, they do this because there is no performance penalty when there are no moving parts, and mainly because it prevents one sector from being written to over and over and reaching it's maximum write cycles years before the other sectors. So the data just keeps getting moved around to random places on the SSD to make the entire SSD wear out evenly and slowly.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« OS X on the Mini12? | Restoring Sound after Sleep (and Mute) »