Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#11) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 03:46 AM

Keyboard issue is easily solved- I bought a used mac usb keyboard and all the function keys work the same as on my G5. Connected a 23" monitor (mirroring) when I used it at home for extended periods. Also connect the sound output to a good quality pair of speakers. After spending close to $4000 about 5 years ago on my G5 I simply didn't want to pay over $1100 for the cheapest Mac laptop- the dell mini 10v suits my purposes and realize it has limitation such as running large apps such as photoshop. Overall quality and price is more than I ever expected
  (#12) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 04:17 AM

I had no idea that the "V" in 10v stood for value but it does make sense
THanks for the insight, ive been wondering what that "V"was all about.

Vaio CS series--2.4ghrz--4gb ddr2--220HDD--Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell Mini 10v--n270--1gb ram--160HDD--windows 7 Home Premium
  (#13) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 04:34 AM

I actually had the opposite reaction than the OP did - given that netbooks are not powerful machines to begin with, and given that MacOS isn't even designed to run on it, it's actually very speedy all things considered. And I like the Mini 10v, overall - it's replacing my ASUS EEE 900HA and the screen size / keyboard are a vast improvement. And it's much quieter than my EEE. HDD replacement was fairly easy once I found a guide, although I agree that the RAM replacement is a bit of a headache.

I don't have a MBP, so I have to assume it's a bit of a shock running MacOS on a netbook in comparison. However, you'd probably have the same complaints with Win7 or Ubuntu. Again, it's not the Mini 10v's fault - this is what differentiates netbooks from a regular laptop. I would never consider using a netbook to run VM's or high performance tasks like video editing / transoding or professional Photoshop rendering. It's designed for low CPU tasks and light multi-tasking.
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by midget2000x View Post
I can't believe flaming is still something that is practiced.
Before I edited your previous post, you were flaming others as well. When you point the finger at someone else, you have three pointing back at ya

Thread closed because this is going nowhere productive and is just a disaster waiting to happen. Keep it clean and do not insult others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to disagree with an opinion.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides

10.6.1, macports, snow leopard

« Snow Leopard fresh install | 10.6.2 available now »