Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

(#1) Old
Default Bootloader brain damage? - 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM

First I'd like to say thanks for all the hard work and documentation, but unfortunately no guide or forum post has been able to solve my problem, so I'm posting for help!

I've got a Dell Mini 10v. It came with A06 BIOS, I've downgraded it to A04. (I saved a copy of A06 if anybody wants it) I have various USB keys and an external USB DVD drive. I do not have a Mac.

I've tried various different install medias, but the only one I've gotten far with is iDeneb 1.4. I install it from an external DVD, then boot it via the dellminiboot8_0_2b1 usb key and it works. I just can't get it to boot without the usb key. Here's a summary of my attempts:
netbookBookMaker (rc4) - this is the only one that tries to boot without a usb stick, but it crashes on boot, even in safe mode
netbookinstaller - says I have an unsupported device. Crashes when I try to have it install the bootloader and extensions.
dellefifor10v or dellefi1.2a5 - no luck with these either, won't boot, crashes when it does.

Typically the system will just reboot in a loop, or show me:
boot0: testing
boot1: /boot

or if it does actually try and boot, it then crashes at some stage (it varies).

I've also tried installing the "aboutthismack.pkg" but I'm not sure what exactly it does and when it needs to be applied.

Anyhow, I've just about exhausted my trial & error tactic... and about ready to give up... when I thought I'd see if anybody here can figure this out... since I feel like I'm soooo close.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Honestly I don't know how much help you will get because iDeneb is a bootleg copy of OSX. You need a retail disk of some sort - either 10.5.6 or 10.6.

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Yeah, iDeneb is not only not ideal, it is also not supported on these forums. The techniques we describe here only work and are supported for retail, legit copies of OS X. Try using the retail version.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM

*thread closed, warning given for mentioning the use of hacked distros and not following forum rules*

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides

« Offtopic: prebuild i7 system - vanilla capable wanted | **OFFICIAL** Snow Leopard on the Mini (NetbookBootMaker Method) -- OLD METHOD! »