Forum Archive Old/outdated threads will end up here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Exclamation **OFFICIAL** Snow Leopard on the Mini (NetbookBootMaker Method) -- OLD METHOD! - 09-02-2009, 04:19 AM

*UPDATE [9/8/09]*
This thread is now obsolete, please redirect all comments/questions to THIS THREAD and use the most current version of NetbookBootMaker / NetbookInstaller (.8.2 Final). The version of NBM/NBI in this thread is no longer supported and this thread will be closed.

I am sure everyone is pleased to hear this news, as it is the moment that everyone has been waiting for. The officially supported method of loading OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard has finally arrived. Thanks to meklort for updating NetbookBootMaker/NetbookInstaller to support 10.6

[UPDATE AT BOTTOM IN GREEN!! -- 9/4/09 - 12:15AM EST]

First things first:

*Please remember that this is still in testing and, as always, could break your install. You are advised to make a backup before continuing*

This should only be used for OSX 10.6 installations. The versions of NBM and NBI linked within this guide are explicitly developed for the Snow Leopard installation process!!

With the warnings out of the way, here is what you should be able to expect :

1. Ability to upgrade from current OSX Leopard (10.5.x) installation to OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
  2. Ability to complete a fresh installation of Snow Leopard
  3. NOT ABLE to use this version of NetbookBootMaker to patch a 10.5.x disk for installation, which would be BAD. This is protection for YOU, so you do not do anything stupid!

Finally, here is the process you should take to install / upgrade :

1. Restore OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD to USB drive
  2. Run NetbookBootMaker (this version) to patch the USB
  3. Make sure Legacy USB is enabled in BIOS (for booting from USB)
  4. Boot Mini (9 or 10v) to patched Snow Leopard Install USB [note, if "pinwheel of death" appears... wait up to 10 minutes. if not, reboot to USB]
  5. Install Snow Leopard (fresh) or Upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard
  6. Once the installation is complete remove your USB drive and reboot
  7. Enjoy OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard
[let me remind you that it is always a good idea to check/repair permissions after any OS upgrade. you can do this with Disk Utility or applications such as OnyX]

---------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have already installed Snow Leopard (following the directions above) and would like to upgrade NetbookInstaller to the new, updated, working version [which adds the new functionality from the GREEN UPDATE below] :

NetbookInstaller Download Link [9/4/09 - 12AM EST]

Please note that running NBI does take a few minutes, so be patient while it runs. You do not need to get this updated version of NBI if you followed the above method after the update (see time-stamp on update), because the updated NBI is installed in that process.
From this point forward, this will be the official method to use for installation of Snow Leopard on a Mini. Any further development should be made based upon this method, as it will be the recommended and supported standard.

Compatibility

Mini 10v :
  • Everything except Sleep and Restart
Mini 9 :
  • Everything except Sleep, Restart and Audio

Other Thoughts
  • WiFi and Battery are working... so that is a good thing.
  • Be patient. Work is still being done by meklort to get sleep, restart and audio on the Mini 9 to a fully functional state! Hang in there everyone... and good luck!

Please keep in mind that this release will be a "try at your own risk" endeavor. If something goes terribly wrong, have a backup handy... because meklort is not going to instantly support anything that may happen to go wrong!! I am sure he will be actively working to make the process more refined, but he will not cater to everyone's needs

**UPDATE [9/4/09 - 12AM EST]**

The latest version of NetbookBootMaker has been released with the following changes :

1. Fixed the kernel panic on boot (thanks for suggestions from Zenji12)
  2. Can now run NBM under 10.5.x or 10.6 when creating the OSX Boot USB for installation
  3. NetbookInstaller fixed (now able to run from OSX Boot USB and from 10.6 Snow Leopard install)
  4. NBI does not currently add any new support but was fixed to run (since it was unusable before)

This guide is best viewed and easiest to follow when using the MyDellMini Dark Theme!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#2) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 04:41 AM

Sweet!...gonna get my usb stick loaded with 10.6 now.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 04:56 AM

so the built in speakers wont work on the mini9 ? Im confused, when will this issue be resolved as no point in upgrading till its fixed.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to ewang718
Default 09-02-2009, 04:57 AM

damnit apple stores should be open 24/7 i need snow leopard NOW

Dell Mini 9 | 16 gig SSD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A04
Dell Mini 10v | 160 gig HD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A05
  (#5) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 05:16 AM

Aww crud. I just got my 10v half an hour ago... I was all set to follow the Fool Proof No Hassle Mini 10v Install EVERYTHING WORKS!!... but now I'm being tempted by the snow version... especially as I'm too hesitant to install it on my macbook before the inevitable 'oh sh!t' update that should be due soon.

How bad is the sleep/restart issue? Can I live with shut down and reboot instead?
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to GutterIsATool Send a message via Skype™ to GutterIsATool
Default 09-02-2009, 05:43 AM

Great work guys. I'm tempted to do the update on my Mini 9 now, but I think I'll hold off until the sound and sleep are working. I really can't wait to get this thing fully working on here. Hopefully once it gets a little more completed, somebody will write the idiot's guide version. Been a while since I installed 10.5 on here. I don't completely remember how to do everything. I'm clicking on the donate button now. I want you guys to keep developing.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks for everything guys! I just donated. I hope meklort gets his mini10v. I can't wait to update once the sleep issues are ironed out. I hardly ever shutdown -- my mini9 lives in sleep mode

EDIT: Also, is there someway we can see how much money is being collected? In the spirit of transparency and openness

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#8) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Just another big 'Thank You' to all involved & your effort & time is really appreciated.

Once I get home tonight I will give this a bash as I've a recent backup of my 10.5.8 image. I think I'm going to try both the upgrade & a fresh install & take it from there!

Cheers
  (#9) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Good Morning

Do I have to make the partition (on the bootabel USB Drive) GUID or MBR?
  (#10) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Aw man! I was really jazzed to see this...

However once i patched the usb drive, i can't boot off of it, and now it only displays as "Windows Support" (Bootcamp???) in OSX (10.5), however under vista/transmac; it shows as the whole shebang.

this was a patched "snowleopard_10a432_userdvd" restored 8gb usb; restored to medium, then patched with netbookbootmaker

Tags
meklort, nbi, nbm, netbookbootmaker, netbookinstaller, official, snow leopard

« Bootloader brain damage? | NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac »