Feedback Tell us what you think of the site, forum or anything, feel free to suggest too!

(#1) Old
Default Thread Locks? - 01-04-2009, 09:16 AM

I would really love to see old threads get automatically locked after 30 days or so. It kinda irks me when someone digs up a really old thread. I am sure I am not alone here.

Inspiron Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 8GB Stock SSD - Bluetooth - Ubuntu 8.10
Lenovo T500 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Windows Vista Business
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Thread Locks? - 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Definitely not. Someone digging up an old thread is someone using the SEARCH function. This is A Good Thing, it helps prevent people asking the same question over and over. Maybe they have something useful to contribute to an old thread, maybe they need clarification on a point in that thread, maybe a link that used to work in that thread no longer works. It's definitely A Good Thing to be able to dig up old threads.
I'm far more likely to lock a topic that was already discussed in and old thread and put a link to the old thread in the new topic, and I've seen the other mods here do that as well. That would indicate a user that either didn't search, or has poor search skills, and we're just being helpful redirecting them to the already in progress discussion.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Thread Locks? - 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM

In the beginning before the decent search was implemented, most new threads were dupes of old ones and EVERYONE would complain to the new members, I had to stamp my foot down that we weren't accepting it anymore.

I might do something more extreme like maybe 90days.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Getting SQL errors today | Moderators for the OS sections? »