FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old
Default Original Leopard Disk OK? - 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM

I've been browsing the forums and am intrigued by the idea of running OS X on a Vostro A90. My retail disk is the original 10.5 - it's a family pack with two installs remaining. My question - is there anything special I need to know about attempting the install from this first version? Most of the instructions seem to assume a 10.5.6 version of Leopard.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM

You can use any retail disk using this guide: netputing.com • View topic - How to install OSX with NetbookBootMaker . Use the combo updater here: Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update
  (#3) Old
Default 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Much obliged. Vostro's on its way.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-04-2009, 01:28 AM

If you happen to be upgrading to a RunCore SSD, the direct installation of Leopard to the RunCore via USB is the most elegant method, because you don't have to reimage the installation disc. It involves actually installing Leopard from your Mac onto the SSD, as if it were just another hard drive. AFAIK the update to 10.5.7 is also smoother, since you can boot from the RunCore on a real Mac, run Software Update as normal, run DellEFI (still on the RunCore-booted Mac), swap the drives in your A90, boot up the A90, and then run Dell EFI again from the A90. No USB thumb drive middle man! Again, this only works with the RunCore drives.

White Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Runcore SSD | 16Gb Class 4 SDHC

« Mini 9 Dual Boot: OSX and Windows 7 using only a Windows Vista Machine for prepartion | Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! »